VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went to the Chinese Buffet for lunch thinking there would be lots of meatless options.. Wrong! Sure, there's a few things. But, way less than I expected. I would say of the cooked stuff 98% had meat in it. Then there was a salad bar and some fruit. Probably not rushing back to the Chinese buffet. Vietnamese and Thai is a better choice. I also noticed that people in there were eating 18 plates of meat. And, they were huge. I mean like 400+ pounds of huge. I had the only plate in the place that was green.

I'm not busting on the people. I'm busting on the restaurant. Chinese doesn't seem like a healthy choice for me in the future. But, it was pretty cheap.

When I walked past the guy who worked there with a plate full of noodles, broccoli and cabbage he looked at me like something was wrong. I ate Vietnamese yeterday and it was awesome. Vegetarian street noodles, yummmm. The food at the Chinese buffet taste like it was cooked in a dirty pot. I think I just talked myself out of ever going back there. Unless.. I have a craving for the taste of dirty socks or dead fish.

Vegetarian eating has made me a food snob. I actually prefer it that way. It needs to look good, smell good, taste good and leave me feeling good. Or, I don't want it.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
There are no tasty food at a chinese buffet.

At all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Better to just frequent a place that features their salad bar, if you're near such. Even if you can find something to eat at some of those gross places, why support them? I'm actually a big Mongolian BBQ guy myself. The one I visit keeps a separate grill for veg*ns.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalloch View Post

I'm actually a big Mongolian BBQ guy myself. The one I visit keeps a separate grill for veg*ns.
Do they have more things than just noodles and vegetables?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Do they have more things than just noodles and vegetables?
I guess technically it's just noodles (or rice) and vegetables (plus pineapple!), but once you season it up and add one of the yummy sauces and some sriracha...pretty blissful idea of a meal if you ask me.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalloch View Post

I guess technically it's just noodles (or rice) and vegetables (plus pineapple!), but once you season it up and add one of the yummy sauces and some sriracha...pretty blissful idea of a meal if you ask me.
Probably, but I myself can't eat more than one plate of it without growing tired of the aforementioned food.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Probably, but I myself can't eat more than one plate of it without growing tired of the aforementioned food.
God forbid you only eat one plate of food at a time. Are you sure you're not American?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Damn, that sounds like an awful buffet. Within walking distance of me, we have loads that are amazing for veg*ns. I love chinese food.
Yea, I had high hopes but, it was nasty. This place is geared towards people who are desperately killing themselves with food. It's dirty, smells bad and basically just sells meat with some vegetable particles mixed in. I'll never go back.

I live in central "North by-god Carolina". We have had vegan and vegetarian restaurants here but, they don't survive. Heck, I went to Earth Fare the other day to pick up some vegan vitamins and the lady there tried to talk me into eating meat again. Yea, Earth Fare. WTF? My restaurant choices are none right now.. So, my favorite is the vegetarian fajitas at Mi Pueblo Mexican. There is an Asian restaurant nearby that has a big vegetarian section on the menu. That place used to be a vegetarian restaurant but, I think they had to start serving meat to survive. The food is OK. As far as Asian goes there is a Vietnamese restaurant that has some great dishes on the menu. Near my house is a Thai restaurant that has the best Yellow Curry with Tofu and veggies that I have ever eaten. And, they have fresh rolls with tofu and peanut sauce that's fantastic.

In North Carolina, maybe with the exception of Research Triangle Park and Charlotte is meat eatin Merican by god! Here pork BBQ is huge. Central NC fancies it's self as the pork BBQ center of the universe. The only fight is Eastern style or Lexington style. I used to love Eastern style. That was before I found out that pigs were smart beings and that humans don't need meat for nutrition. It's harder to eat meat when you know it's just for preference and that a living being must suffer for that luxury.

I was eating some beans the other day and about half way through found a little sliver of pork in there. That kinda ruined it for me. I have stocked up on vegan baked beans at home. There just as good. I don't understand why they put pork in there.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The Mongolian bbq sections will usually throw some peanuts or something in there if you ask. They've always got a few in the kitchen. It's a bit of an improvement if they don't have tofu.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Ah yes, the lack of vegetarian protein at Chinese buffets often disturbs me.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am finding the South is not totally vegan and Veg friendly and they look down upon you when you say your Veg or going Veg. I am thankful my husband and I are about to leave this portion of the states( we still love eastern TN but we can't stay here) in about a year or less from now to go back to Chicagoland area where I can get more Veg friendly choices. I am glad our Kroger's has alot of Veg friendly things there and other small places here but, I rather go back to my Native land and there are 5 stores within mins away from each that I can get loads of stuff.
However,the chinese buffet place my parents goes in chicagoland has loads of veggies, rice and noodles and other stuff that suits Veg lifestyle. I need to go back there again to see what they have.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can still load up at the local Chinese buffet.

Chow Mein noodles, string beans, stir fried potatoes, a crappy salad bar, and a few fresh fruits, and I walk away satisfied.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

I am finding the South is not totally vegan and Veg friendly and they look down upon you when you say your Veg or going Veg. I am thankful my husband and I are about to leave this portion of the states( we still love eastern TN but we can't stay here) in about a year or less from now to go back to Chicagoland area where I can get more Veg friendly choices. I am glad our Kroger's has alot of Veg friendly things there and other small places here but, I rather go back to my Native land and there are 5 stores within mins away from each that I can get loads of stuff.
However,the chinese buffet place my parents goes in chicagoland has loads of veggies, rice and noodles and other stuff that suits Veg lifestyle. I need to go back there again to see what they have.
My parents live in East Tennessee. Now you understand why I have to listen to so much lip music about my not eating meat. They live between Knoxville and Pigeon Forge. I have a love hate relationship with Tennessee. I think the people are friendly-er than where I live, which is a metro-urban/suburban area. Tennessee is a beautiful state and I like the Vols. But, Tennessee culture is not for me. It's pretty narrow minded. Where my folks live it's country, gospel and Dolly Parton. When "What The Bleep Do We Know" came out it didn't show in East Tennessee anywhere. I'm not sure it showed from the Mississippi to the Smokies.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I've never done a Chinese buffet since being veg, but there's a place across the street that we still occasionally get vegetable fried right and salt and pepper tofu.
mmm greasy goodness.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

My parents live in East Tennessee. Now you understand why I have to listen to so much lip music about my not eating meat. They live between Knoxville and Pigeon Forge. I have a love hate relationship with Tennessee. I think the people are friendly-er than where I live, which is a metro-urban/suburban area. Tennessee is a beautiful state and I like the Vols. But, Tennessee culture is not for me. It's pretty narrow minded. Where my folks live it's country, gospel and Dolly Parton. When "What The Bleep Do We Know" came out it didn't show in East Tennessee anywhere. I'm not sure it showed from the Mississippi to the Smokies.
Yep I know I agree

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry the restaurant didn't afford you many options. I would much rather make my own stir fry at home than try to navigate the buffet. As you said I haven't found many vegetarian options at the restaurants near my home.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I wonder...If I start a chain of veg*an restaurants, sort of like McDonald's, only healthier, how long before I made a million dollars at it.
And, what should I name it, so it tips off the people who eat at places like McDonald's will eat there, while letting veg*ans (you lot) can also safely eat there. VB's restaurants?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
There is a very good vegetarian buffet in Kaohsiung (Taiwan) that I am craving now because of this thread

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I wonder...If I start a chain of veg*an restaurants, sort of like McDonald's, only healthier, how long before I made a million dollars at it.
And, what should I name it, so it tips off the people who eat at places like McDonald's will eat there, while letting veg*ans (you lot) can also safely eat there. VB's restaurants?
when will you be opening because i will probably being going there everyday

1 - 20 of 40 Posts