VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adore the tea in most Chinese-American restaurants. I am a big tea drinker and go though cups of earl grey, green jasmine and English breakfast tea. Black teas are of course served with a bit of milk (coconut non-dairy) and the green plain.

I have been in search of this tea....the closet I have found is the jasmine oolong tea from Teavana. I love it but it isn't perfect.

Any other tea lovers that have suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
All I know is that it's some kind of Oolong tea. It's one of my favorites as well. There is an Asian food store near where I live. If you have any ethnic grocery stores near you, I would suggest looking there for authenticity and affordability.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I hope that I'm not being obtuse here, but couldn't you simply ask at any of these reataurants where they are getting their tea from?

I was always under the impression that it is just weak green tea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Digger - I did laugh at that. Yes, I have asked at the couple of places I go and I got the answer Jasmine tea. So I have tried Jasmine Oolong and Green Teas. The oolong seems closest, but I have only had the kind of Teavana. Maybe I need to find some other tea places to order from.

Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ditto on the Gunpowder. Though I always find the leaves taste better/closer than using bags. Then again, I prefer leaf tea anyway so maybe it is just me.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcoftime View Post

Ditto on the Gunpowder. Though I always find the leaves taste better/closer than using bags. Then again, I prefer leaf tea anyway so maybe it is just me.
I've never had gunpowder tea in bags.
Except, possibly, in Chinese restaurants!
Seems a little wrong, since it is named after its shape, and you can't see it's shape in a teabag...

I'm glad someone agreed with me, I thought was crazy, what with everyone saying jasmine and oolong. Maybe at least some restaurants use gunpowder.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

Seems a little wrong, since it is named after its shape, and you can't see it's shape in a teabag...
I brought a box of gunpowder once from a really tiny Asian shop that I just so happened to stumble upon and it came in teabags! Was a little disheartened, not gonna lie.

ETA: All this talk of tea made me look at the Whittards website, and look what I found! I've never seen the teabags in Whittards before but they at least sell them on the website:

http://www.whittard.co.uk/tea/green/gunpowder

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I think it does depend on both the restaurant and the menu. The place I drink jasmine tea also has green and oolong teas on the menu, but I have only ever gotten jasmine there.

I've also had a really nice oolong tea at another restaurant, and that place has something like ten different teas on their menu.

I've never ordered green tea at a restaurant.
Sometimes, when I'm in a happy mood, I ordered Jasmine flower tea. Its so pretty!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I think it does depend on both the restaurant and the menu. The place I drink jasmine tea also has green and oolong teas on the menu, but I have only ever gotten jasmine there.

I've also had a really nice oolong tea at another restaurant, and that place has something like ten different teas on their menu.

I've never ordered green tea at a restaurant.
I lead a very sheltered life with few Chinese restaurants. The one I remember most just kept bringing the tea to the table, it wasn't ordered, and there was only one tea option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, most of the places I go just has "hot tea" on the menu. I only order Teavana online, I have never been to an actual store. I have heard from others that they are pushy so I probably won't go to the store. I might have to find an Asian store - good idea.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Science/Love View Post

Yeah, most of the places I go just has "hot tea" on the menu. I only order Teavana online, I have never been to an actual store. I have heard from others that they are pushy so I probably won't go to the store. I might have to find an Asian store - good idea.
I technically live in a city - its a tiny one, but there's a fairly big Asian community around the Winchester/Southampton area. There is one veeeeeeeeeery small Asian shop in Winch, and even they sell 9 or 10 different varieties of tea. I think seeing as tea is such an intrinsic part of Asian culture, you'd be hard push to find an Asian grocer which doesn't stock at least a few teas.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

I'm glad someone agreed with me, I thought was crazy, what with everyone saying jasmine and oolong. Maybe at least some restaurants use gunpowder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcoftime View Post

I brought a box of gunpowder once from a really tiny Asian shop that I just so happened to stumble upon and it came in teabags! Was a little disheartened, not gonna lie.

ETA: All this talk of tea made me look at the Whittards website, and look what I found! I've never seen the teabags in Whittards before but they at least sell them on the website:

http://www.whittard.co.uk/tea/green/gunpowder
Yep, I've seen it in teabags as well, by Numi.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.