VeggieBoards banner
41 - 60 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingchen View Post

Really? I don't think so. My aquaintance are vegaetarians or vegans who are come from China here.
In most Chinese movies I have seen, people eat meat. Perhaps it is just the media then promoting meat eating as usual.

What percent of the Chinese population is Vegetarian/Vegan ?

Thanks.

Vijay

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I don't think we have an official data of Chinese veg population...

When I was little (70-80's), many people are vegetarian by default because they simply can't afford meat/egg/milk and the supply was poor. Now Chinese people are pretty heavy on animal flesh, as far as I know

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes,there is no official data of Chinese veg population. But Vijay, there are many Chinese word website for Chinese veg. Can you read it? If you can I can give you more... and there are many veg. restaurants in China.

My aquaintance are Buddhists.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:

Yes,there is no official data of Chinese veg population. But Vijay, there are many Chinese word website for Chinese veg. Can you read it? If you can I can give you more... and there are many veg. restaurants in China.

My aquaintance are Buddhists.
Sorry, I can't read Chinese. Do you have Vegetarian Restaurants in pretty much every town in China ? All this is amazing to know.

Thanks.

Vijay

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:

Vijay, did you get that Restaurants? Will you go to China to have a lunch or so in those restarants?
Dear quingchen:

I am from India originally. It is just that our communication is made hard by the huge Language barrier and cultural difference. Surprising that there can be such a huge difference between two regions so geographically close.

Don't think I will get a chance to visit China anytime soon. However, I like to make Vegan Chinese fried rice at home. What are the special Chinese Vegetables available in China but not in North America ? I heard that there are quite a few of these.

Also, to be sincere China and India have fought a few wars and have had territorial differences. However, when the veg*n issue comesup I feel that we have so much in common are like even cousins to a large extent sometimes, feel Love and Warmth towards other Chinese.

Warm Regards,

Vijay

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Vijay, I love Indian culture/food probably just as much as you like Chinese things. I actually became veg after reading about Hare Krishna and practicing yoga (both at elementary levels, shame on me
). I love Shiva !

There used to be a vegan Indian buffet in my town (Honolulu) but it went out of biz and I was so sad!

About India and China dispute.....I pray Ahimsa!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemouse View Post

Vijay, I love Indian culture/food probably just as much as you like Chinese things. I actually became veg after reading about Hare Krishna and practicing yoga (both at elementary levels, shame on me
). I love Shiva !

There used to be a vegan Indian buffet in my town (Honolulu) but it went out of biz and I was so sad!

About India and China dispute.....I pray Ahimsa!
For sure neigbours will have disputes, however this is just as two brothers have disputes in a family. One also learns that these disputes are minor, focus on the bigger picture, co-operate and enjoy life. In this regard a lot of India-China disputes are superficial based on materialism I feel. At a spiritual level both Indian and Chinese Masters have exhibited a great deal of understanding and co-operation in the past.

I used to live close to the region in India from where Damo came to the Shaolin Temple. Here is a related article:

http://www.hungkuen.net/history-damo.htm

Vijay

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:

And Venerable Master Sakyamuni!
Agreed ! India and China also had a great connection via the Silk Route. However, now we all have a different opinion about Silk here as it involves a lot of suffering.

Anyways, I am going to be on here much less rarely during the Holiday Season. So, if I am slow to respond to posts, you will all know why.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance,

Vijay

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
41 - 60 of 170 Posts