VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
That's fascinating (if yucky).

Out of interest, though, why would it make people reconsider Darwin's theory (I'm going to assume it was a typo; I searched Dawin and got a poodle breeders)?

ETA: um, I just thought: people who DON'T already believe it reconsidering it? That slipped my mind before. I don't really come into contact with creationists that often.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Though I am a firm believer in us all being God's creation, it still amazes me how different people really think we are from other animals.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Fascinating.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I'm definitely not a believer in Darwin's theory but do find the article interesting. I don't think it's going to make me change my views in any way however.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
How do we know that the chimps didn't learn this behavior from watching humans? That should not be at all surprising. Perhaps they didn't engage in such behavior at one time.

The presumption that their CURRENT behavior sheds light on early hominid behavior, is just a presumption.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I heard about that, but I don't think it has anything to do with Darwin or evolution or what have you. This is the chimps applying a sense of learning and innovation. That doesn't trivialize the observation at all though, as far as I can see this is a much more advanced type of adaptation/tool using than the chimps have ever been observed doing before.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Chimps are mean, vicious, incredibly violent, and sometimes downright despicable creatures. They truly are our next of kin.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was watching some show a couple of years ago and it showed chimps grab a smaller primate, slam his head on the ground and trees, then ripped off his arms and bashed him around some more. Very Very Very Very disturbing to see! After seeing that, this dosent surprise me at all.

·
Registered
852 Posts
An Internet buddy of mine took this pic a few years ago in Kibale National Park in Uganda. The chimp is eating another primate and is happily munching on the tail like a Slim Jim. On extremely rare occasions, they have been known to snatch human babies and attempt to eat them. This isnt urban legend; its been thoroughly documented.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts