VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made it with garlic, onions, beans, tomatoes, red and black pepper, bell pepper, cumin chili powder, garlic powder and a little salt. It didn't turn out so well but after I added the cilantro I loved it. I just wonder what was missing in the first place?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Which beans did you use? When I make chili I pretty much throw canned beans into a pot with some tomatoes and just let it simmer and eat it
Be sure you get a good assortment of beans, kidney are my favorite so I always add a whole can. Also, have you thought of putting in corn? I loooove corn in my chili! And paprika and cayenne

EDIT Also, if you like fake meats, try putting in a veggie crumble to give it some extra texture.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Quote:
I just wonder what was missing in the first place?
Seems like you had the basics in there. People forget salt but I see you included it. If cilantro fixed it could have been lacking a hint of freshness at first (or soap, which is what cilantro tastes like to me
)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually enjoy using about 1/4 fresh lime beans in my chili. It started several years ago by "accident", as I was making a pot, and went to garden to get several fresh jalapeños, and realized "I need to pick my limas and pole beans- they're a mess", and then thought "hmmmm...."! I never went as far as adding green beans (yuk), but the limas were a pleasant surprise- they added a different texture and a hint of sweetness which nicely complemented the spice of the chilis, and the tang of the tomatoes. I would highly recommend giving it a try!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave how dare u? I live cilantro so much I want it to be my second husband and I would wear it if it were a cologne and I even considered making a cilantro cake

Jeremy I think I did put Lima beans in and that's why it was gross. Idk

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I hate cilantro more than any other herb. I also think it tastes just like soap. Really strong soap. But I do like coriander-which is the seed of cilantro. I also hate dill.
Trader Joes has the best (I've tried) soy chorizo. If you have a TJ's, try that in chili! It has a good texture, not like the other "crumbles" stuff I've tried.

I also like a chili with both black beans and white kidney beans (cannelli) for different textures, canned chopped tomatoes and chilis, tomatoe puree, and a can of fat free refried beans to thicken it up. Of course celery, onions, and peppers.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

It's genetic. Honestly. Just like how some people can roll their tongues up in a 'U' shape and some can't. Or what asparagus does to some people but not others. Some people experience the flavor of cilantro as pleasently citrusy whereas for others (like me), soap.

We even have a website: http://ihatecilantro.com/

And here's the science: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html
I've tried to like cilanto. Mostly because it masquerades as parsley, and I had a friend who could eat a bunch all by itself.
Do you like coriander? That I find citrusy. How about asparagus pee? Mine is so strong I can barely get away fast enough! I do love asparagus. Just wondering if it's related.
I'm curious

1 - 8 of 8 Posts