VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking up something that lead me to a children's show of the past... and it made me realize that growing up I would watch shows like: 3-2-1 contact, mr. wizard... and others I can't remember--but they almost all required thinking, or just had neat little science-based things in them... I just wish I could remember all of them... Comem to think of it, I pretty much grew up watching PBS.

But whenever I looked to see what children watch today, I see... well to be nice I had better not say anything more, and just ask the question:

Do children today have anything like the older children shows at all? And as a side thing, does anyone remember the names of the science-like shows of the 70s-80s? now it's driving me crazy thinking....

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I don't know much about the 80s and 70s but I love the 90s cartoon style, especially on Nickelodeon. I loved the show Catscratch as a kid because it mimicked that style so well, but it went off air for some reason.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
The kids growing up in a world without Fred Rogers or Shari Lewis are worse off for it. I say that without the barest hint of my usual dry sarcasm. I actually feel that there is something missing in their development as a result of this inconceivable loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

And as a side thing, does anyone remember the names of the science-like shows of the 70s-80s? now it's driving me crazy thinking....
I remember this one being on when I was very young which would have been early 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-LEBc2sO8

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

The kids growing up in a world without Fred Rogers or Shari Lewis are worse off for it. I say that without the barest hint of my usual dry sarcasm. I actually feel that there is something missing in their development as a result of this inconceivable loss.
Luckily, they have PBSkids.org and can watch Mr. Rogers any time they want:
http://pbskids.org/rogers/videos/index.html

I have to say also, that not all modern kid's programs are bad. I have grown a bit fond of The Backyardigans, for example. Although the plots and themes can be a bit annoying and nonvegan, the music is often VERY good. For example:

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
90's cartoons were the best cartoons.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Educational Kids shows from the early to mid 70's:
Seasame Street
The Electric Company
The Patchwork Family (NY/NJ market only)
Schoolhouse rock (not really shows, just 2 minute cartoons/songs about science/history/grammar)
Mr. Rogers
ZOOM
The big Blue Marble

That's all I can remember

1 - 15 of 15 Posts