VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of doing something such as adopting a child through an organization like Christian Childrens Fund, once my fi has a job. I dont really know much about those kinds of organizations. I was wondering if anyone has had an experience with one of them (good or bad), who you might or might not recommend, and why. I want to help people less fortunate than me, but I dont want my money being used to pay the salary of some corporate big-wig who is getting rich off of peoples kindness. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Lutheran Brotherhood is a favorite of mine...My sister is adopted from South Korea, the home studies are pretty stringent, require solid income and a good credit history on the money side, good health of the parents, an evaluation of the home and the room for the child. American adoptions have a tremendous waiting lists..if you go foreign, say China, the process from start to finish usually takes about 2 years. A friend of mine has adopted two little girls from China, they are such sweeties.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I currently have one child...my wife and I are in deep discussion on whether to try for another on are own, or adopt, or donate are time as foster parents. We qualified as foster parents in Illinois, but right at that time my wife became pregnant, now that I live in MO, we'll probably have to start over with the process.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, sorry KC Kid, I think I have may have caused some confusion. By adopting I meant sending money. Thats why I stated the concern I had that my money might not go to the child. Thanks cat and muppetcow for the links.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I currently donate to St. Jude, only $15.00 per month, but I figure every bit helps, especially for the children fighting such a deadly disease as cancer. St Jude sends you updates and post cards from the children you are helping...

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Avalon fosters 2 now i think, i don't remember which fund though. i'm not big on the religious ones personally because it seems to me that some of them are umm.. "hey we'll give you food and medicine if you convert to our religion and build a church!"

i don't agree with forcing a religion onto people who are too needy to say no.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I currently sponser a boy in Sri Lanka through CCF, and I've gone through them before. I have no complaints about them -- you can send extra if you want, write to the child and his/her family, and they generally tell you how their life has changed since you've been helping them. That's pretty meaningful on the are-they-actually-doing-any-good front. Umm, they're open about their finances. I'm guessing you've checked out their site already?

I pay $24/month & once I pay off my student loan I plan to add at least one more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts