VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Young Child Catches First Fish

My ex-vegan friend posted this as something she found "cute".

I'm glad they released the fish, but luring it onto a steel hook and then yanking it out of its natural habitat into, effectively, what is drowning to us, and then dangling it by its body weight on said hook - and saying things like "Oh, that fish likes you!" is seriously... WTF.

I mean, sure, little kids can make a lot of things cute that would be disturbing in an adult but... I... just... the father...

·
Registered
966 Posts
Ugh. I remember when I used to be like that kid. I was so excited when I caught my first fish. At least that kid seems unsure of himself. *shame*

·
Registered
908 Posts
That's so disgusting. Never been fishing and I'm so glad that it's not as much of a "son and dad bonding time" thing over here. (Then again, there's plenty bad stuff going on here as well, not trying to point a finger at any country.)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

When I was a kid, I used to catch fish with a net and then dump them back in the lake, but I never did actually go fishing.
That video is quite disturbing.
We always used to catch tadpoles and collect starfish but we always put them back as well and made sure they were in enough water and stuff.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post

Ugh. I remember when I used to be like that kid. I was so excited when I caught my first fish. At least that kid seems unsure of himself. *shame*
Same. Though I caught on pretty quickly after that about how bad fishing was, before I even contemplated becoming a veg*n. My mom still has a picture of me with it somewhere. I can only hope the poor little guy got away and stayed safe and lived a happy life after that.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
That's gross. To me, fishing=hunting, and most of the omnis I've met, even those that think veg*ns are insane, still think hunting is wrong, so I'm pretty sure people wouldn't be saying it's cute if this kid just violently shot a deer, but because fish aren't considered cute, they're considered food, and a sharpened hook isn't seen as violent as guns are in our society, then people will justify this as cute

Also, I think if he wasn't being taught to kill fish, he could grow up to really love animals. He seems fascinated by the fish, calling it beautiful, more than he seems to think of it as a prize the way the dad encourages him to. And because they put it back in the water, I don't think he realizes that the fish is being harmed at all. To him, he probably thinks of it as picking up a baby puppy and petting it, he might not realize that fish cannot just be plucked from the water the way a pet is plucked from the ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.