VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told my (omnivore) friend that my mum and I were considering getting a couple of chickens this spring, not for food reasons, just for pets, and she flipped on me saying it was awful and cruel.

What we are/were (not sure anymore because of the comment) planning to do was to set up fencing around an area of our yard that we never use, but is quite large. It would be far enough away from where what we believe are coyotes like to wander around at night (the area is right next to our house, and they never come closer than our farthest garden, a loooong ways away), and the fencing would be tall enough to keep the neighborhood dogs and our (very vicious) cat out. Our cat wouldn't be able to climb up the fencing because of several reasons, including a paw injury this past summer that makes climbing anything short of stairs a very difficult task for her.

The reason why we want to get chickens is because I've been reading latley how intelligent they are and I'm just fascinated with them.
Anyways, I know that they can be agressive at times, but my neighbor used to have chickens a long time ago before he moved away, and they were very sweet creatures. My step-dad grew up on a large farm, so he would be able to show me how to take care of them, and several years ago we were planning on getting a few along with some sheep
, but that never ended up happening because we ended up moving to a smaller area.

But what do you think about this?

·
Registered
160 Posts
First off, it's not cruel to have chickens if you don't use them for food purposes but it is cruel to buy them from feed stores or wherever else you might buy them as chicks because it supports the whole animals-are-food industry. If you do decide to get chickens, try to find somewhere to adopt or rescue them.

I have four chickens and although they are never aggressive towards people, there is a definate leader of the pack that always has to get her way. I don't have a rooster though but I have heard that they can be aggressive towards people sometimes.

As far as housing for them goes, just a fence won't suffice. You would have to build or buy a coop for them to go in at night (with perches, etc), and it would have to be completly predator-proof.

Getting my chickens two years ago is what inspired me to go vegan. They are incredibly intelligent and I love just sitting out with them and watching them. If you do decide to get them, research a lot before about raising them (food they need, housing, etc.) so you're well prepared.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I should have written that we were going to build a coop for them. But we didn't think of adding perches. And don't buy them from feed stores- gotcha. We're trying to get them from a local farm, but we were also looking into feed stores. That idea's out. Definitley need to research more, though. But thank you for your answers. ^.^

And now (well, tommorow seeing as it's eleven at night)- to the library!

·
Registered
108 Posts
friends of mine have chicken. you definitely need a really secure coop like dreamer said. you'd be surprised at what a determined predator will do to get to your chickens. I think they are great to have as pets - my friends really enjoy them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're not sure where we're getting them anymore. We're not even sure if the farm that we were going to try and get them from is going to be willing to sell them to us. There's really nowhere in the area that we could adopt/rescue them, but I'll keep a lookout for places.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have two friends with rescued battery hens. Lots out there if you find a link.

In a few years time, battery farms will be banned here in he UK and the farmers are beginning to close down. Thousands of hens will be slaughtered.

One farm is closing soon here in the Uk (south) and a ar group are asking for help in collecting and homing as many of the 13,000 hens in April.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
This sounds like a great idea, as long as you do your research to make sure that you give your chicken (or maybe chickens?) everything it needs, and it sounds like you will.

I don't know a lot about chickens but I always suggest that people who are thinking about getting one animal, think about getting another of the same type to be it's friend. The only animal I can think of that isn't happier for having a similar friend would be cats.

I'll bet you could find a battery chicken or chickens that you could save. That would be fantastic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts