VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a chicken substitute that taste & looks close to chiken, would like a product that I could chop up and put into salads, it is the one thing I do miss, but maybe all you out there know of a product that would help me out..

Please help,

Thanks

Char

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Yves Chick'n is pretty close. they sell it in strips, you have to cook it before you can use it in a recipe, but it's quick and easy. we used some the other night when we made chicken fried rice (chicken for the guys, chick'n for me) and it turned out really well.

if you have a grill you can probably toss it on there to have a grilled chicken salad, just cut the strips up into chunks which is what i did with the rice.

the taste and texture is soooooo similar to chicken that first time i tried it i got grossed out lol

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yeah sorry they're LightLife not Yves, i checked after i posted. Yves doesn't make strips, only nuggets and cutlets i think, but they're not bad

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now and Zen "breast of unchicken" is pretty good, but it's really overpriced. It's basically just seitan with a yuba skin around it. I like to make my own mock chicken using Bryanna Clark's recipes. It makes a huge batch and then I keep whatever in the freezer I don't need.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Health is Wealth makes vegan chicken patties, chicken nuggets, and buffalo wings. I dig all of them, specially the wings. You could easily chop up the patties and throw 'em on salad, though I'm not sure if they'd be any good cold.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I just remembered. Gardenburger's flame grilled chicken patty (or whatever it's called) is now vegan. I tried it last week and it's not bad. The nice thing is that it's not breaded. Up to this point I couldn't find any chicken patties to put between a bun that were not breaded. This thing can be thrown on the George Foreman and grilled right up.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mera'din

Health is Wealth makes vegan chicken patties, chicken nuggets, and buffalo wings. I dig all of them, specially the wings. You could easily chop up the patties and throw 'em on salad, though I'm not sure if they'd be any good cold.
Yeah, I've had those buffalo wings! They're a little on the expensive side, but still a tasty every-now-and-then treat. SO SPICY, too.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Those Lightlife chick'n strips are really good in a salad - i like to toss them in the skillet with a splash of oil to brown them a lil before adding them to a salad of baby spinach, shredded carrot & chopped roma tomato w/ a good italian dressing & a few grinds of black pepper - now that's a salad i could go for any day, and i'm generally not a salad fan.

I also love Health is Wealth chick'n nuggets & patties, but i don't know how well those would work out in a salad.

Lightlife & Yves also make some good deli slices - you might want to look into those.

Tofurkey also makes deli slices, but only turkey flavored, but those have to be the most realistic meat sub. i've ever tried; it's pretty freaky! They're rather expensive too though.

If you're not vegan, I could ask my brother what chick'n subsitutes he likes. He's not veg, but he does eat a lot of meat substitutes for health reasons.

While I'm at it here.. I'll mention that the worst chick'n substitute i've ever had is the Yves chick'n nuggets. They're not bad really, they just taste more like mushrooms than chick'n to me. Which is rather odd because their chick'n patties are good.

(edited for grammar mistake... oops!)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by FemmeDemonica

Yeah, I've had those buffalo wings! They're a little on the expensive side, but still a tasty every-now-and-then treat. SO SPICY, too.
Yeah, they're delicious, and the texture is VERY convincing. They are a bit expensive, anywhere from $4.50 - $5.25 a box, but a box is more than one serving.

I'm totally addicted to them, spend too much on 'em - I order them by the case from my natural food store.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i spotted some Lightlife products at my grocery store that i've never seen anywhere else before. i'm anxious to try them. there were chicken fingers and nuggest and stuff like that. wanna know why it took so long to spot them? they're displayed in the MEAT AISLE

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you can find it in your area, Quorn is the closest thing I've found to it. It's amazing how accurately they're able to replicate both the taste and texture. It's currently the #1 selling meat substitute in Europe, but it was just approved for sale in the US recently.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do not eat quorn if you have an allergy to mold.

The mycoprotein that makes up 80% of their product is a close relative to mold (it's not a mushroom as they claim), and you could have severe reactions to it.

And Quorn has eggs in it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts