VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually avoid chain restaurants, but sometimes I get a craving for Chevy's chips, salsa, and tostada salads.

Today, I went there and ordered the usual - tostada salad, no meat, black beans instead of refried, no cheese, no sour cream... the waitress left & came back a minute later and said, "are you vegan?" even though I'm not, I said yes for simplicity (irrelevant that i eat honey - besides, I was surprised she knew what vegan was.). She said, "well I want you to know that the flour tortilla that comes with the salad has some dairy in it."

Ends up that all the flour tortillas at Chevy's have dairy in them. The corn tortillas are ok, though. Just wanted y'all to know.

I gave my server a REALLY big tip. She was awesome. She even offered to bring me some rice on the side but I declined.

That's teh 2nd time in a row I've been to Chevy's (two different locations) and my servers asked me if I was vegan (got the salad both times). The first server I had used to be vegan (is now lacto-veg) and the 2nd time was today. Impressive!

amy

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I love when that happens. In fact, the only time it ever happened to me--when a server asked if I was vegan due to my order--was just the other day. When I asked for my Greek wrap without feta, the waitress asked if I was vegan or allergic to milk. I told her I was vegan and she said that she would bring me a side of fruit rather than the pasta salad the wrap normally comes with because the salad has parmesan in it. Very unexpected and extremely cool.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks for the tip about the tortillas.....I assumed they were pretty much all vegan (I don't have a Chevy's near me but I'll start asking about them wherever else I go). It is so nice (but so rare, unfortunately) to encounter a helpful server. Most of them look at me like I have 3 heads when I start asking questions...and I really love when I get the answer "I don't know" to a question and then they just stand there. Well, how about finding out for me? Oh wait, that's right, I can always order the great, filling, and exciting "salad".

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

I went to Chevy's, and just asked if there was any lard in the tortillas. I didn't think to ask about dairy!

Melina

1 - 5 of 5 Posts