VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What criteria do you use to determine if a cheese is vegetarian? Do you only avoid any with "rennet" listed in the ingredients? What about those with just some unknown "enzymes"? Do you look for Kosher cheese?

I looked up rennet today. The majority of US cheese is made with rennet produced by a genetically modified fungus. The fungus was altered using calf-genes. Kosher cheese is primarily made from either microbial or GM rennet. So... I got more confused than I was before. hehe

Thanks in advance for your responses!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
If you really want to know, generally the only way to find out is by contacting the company. I think the Veg. Society may have a list of non-animal rennet cheeses, and a few are specifically labelled, but most of the time it's a crap shoot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know that in my part of the states theres a health food store that doesnt sell ANYTHING thats not vegetarian. You should pull out the phonebook and check around for something like that in your area. Gotta tell you, particularly for people who are new at it, it really simplified shopping for me

If you dont have a store like that, then kosher cheese is the way to go. If I am understanding kosher law correctly, kosher cheese can't possibly be made with any animal rennet. Its usually better quality anyhow. Personally I have never liked the commercial soy cheese, all the kinds I have tried taste like feet. But there are lots of online recipies for mock-cheese, most of which is pretty good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts