VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Rennet is derived from sheep intestines as a factor to help speed up the process of cheese forming. So therefore, it is not vegetarian. However, they do make vegetairan cheese with microbe-derived rennet.

·
Registered
215 Posts
are you serious?! Is that pretty much all brands or only specific ones? Are you able to check for rennett on the label?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
*sigh* You can (choose to) have vegetarian cheese. Just check the ingredients. You could try HFS if you can't find it elsewhere.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You'd be a lacto ovo vegetarian, in short.

Rennet is derived from the stomach lining of calves, as far as I know. But I don't believe that it specifies anywhere on the ingredients of most cheeses whether the rennet is animal derived or not.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Most cheeses are made with rennet, so you'd have to look for one that isn't. Ask the company you're planning to buy from what kind of rennet they use in their cheese.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post

*sigh* You can (choose to) have vegetarian cheese. Just check the ingredients. You could try HFS if you can't find it elsewhere.
Whats with the *sigh*? Oh well anyway yeah since I'm starting raw I won't have to worry bout it anymore.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are many brands of cheese that do not contain rennet. I have been watching cheese labels for years, anything dairy made with rennet can be purchased with only vegetarian ingredients.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
More and more companies are migrating to rennet-free, as the microbial enzymes are becoming more cost-effective. Keep checking, and if you're unsure, contact the company directly.

Also, for Kidneylust, there are raw cheeses available at most HFS. Again, read your labels.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You could try organic or vegetarian cheeses, such as haloumi, or organic camembert, but you have to check the labels.

Same goes for food with gelatine. Its amazing just how many foods use gelatine when you would think that they don't.

There are also yoghurts that are set without gelatine.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just check the labels, I've found pleanty of vegetarian cheese since I became veggie. Sainsburys (uk) have big green V's on their cheeses

Lots of cheeses are labled as vegetarian in the Uk, just look on the back like you would any other food. In reasutraunts, that's why the cheese pizzas aren't always vegetarian. Which is why if something isn't labeled vegetarian it probally wont be - it'll have some bones, or stomach lining, or beetles in there somewhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts