VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not vegan, but I'm trying to figure out which cheeses are made with animal rennet, so I can avoid them. Most cheeses just list "enzymes" which doesn't specify what kind. I really can't live without cheese...I'm sure many vegans said that too, until they tried....but for now, I'd like my cheese. I found one website that had a list....but if you have any other sources, it would help.

t.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you...yes, that's the same list I found too!

I read on that other thread that all cheese-making processes include slaughtering calves.....that couldn't be true, if they didn't use animal rennet, right? I understand that if a company only uses microbial enzymes or rennetless cheese for some of their products, then their process would include slaughtering for the other products.

t.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyaviola View Post

Thank you...yes, that's the same list I found too!

I read on that other thread that all cheese-making processes include slaughtering calves.....that couldn't be true, if they didn't use animal rennet, right? I understand that if a company only uses microbial enzymes or rennetless cheese for some of their products, then their process would include slaughtering for the other products.

t.
That may have been a reference to the fact that most commercial dairy production involves impregnating cows (to get the milk production), and then slaughtering the resulting calfs for veal.

As to rennet per se, yes, one can indeed make cheese without using animal rennet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.