VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to go vegan cold turkey and failed, so I went veggie and had success. Now I want to go to the next step and cut out dairy. I have not done a lot of research on products and I was just wondering about cheese and butter replacements? I already drink soy and rice milk so that isn't an issue. Are there any good ones out there? I like a good grill cheese every now and then so its not a daily need, just a craving. The butter I like on toast, but I guess I can dabb it it evoo in replace of butter.??

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well for butter I'd say go for Earth Balance. It's the only animal product replacement(besides soy milk) that I've ever really liked. It's basically just a non-hydrdogenated margerine. As for cheese, I've heard good things about Daiya, and it seems to be a favorite on this board, although I've been kind of traumatized by a lot of the mock-animal products lately. Maybe I'll give that a try if I see it on sale.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Earth Balance is by far the best I've found. You can order it online, but I'm sure that if you have a local grocery store with an organic foods section, it's bound to be there.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I make this "cheese" and chill it to thicken it up and it spreads well on bread for grilled cheese. it is tangy and reminds me of cheddar.
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup non dairy milk
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 TB lemon juice
2tsp whole grain mustard
1 tsp onion powder
garlic powder or one small clove of garlic to taste

Puree in a blender until super smooth. This is great drizzled on food in place of cheese--great on pizza or tacos--but also if you chill it to thicken up makes a wicked grilled cheese.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I am a huge fan of Earth Balance...whipped version if you can get it, otherwise regular is fine. I also use Daiya cheese, both mozzarella and cheddar flavors.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Daiya is the best cheese replacement out there right now, but it's kinda rare in some sectors.

Earth Balance is a very passable and healthy butter alternative.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Daiya is very different from the other store bought vegan cheezes I've had. The cheddar tastes just like a real grilled american cheese sandwich. It does have it's limitations-that's pretty much all I buy it for. I always freeze half the bag in a ziplock bag, it does freeze well. Even our Giant Eagle started carrying it-funny it's only in the dairy section, and not the veg-organic.

If you can't get Earth Balance look for Smart Balance light with FLAX. It will say vegan on the side. I often buy that instead because there are so many coupons.

Instead of looking for substitutes look for change. There are good spread recipes using nuts, and if you don't care for nutritional yeast it's often okay left out.
I like things like artichoke hearts, olives, mushrooms and garlic to replace the cheese. Salty, fatty, and savory.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Yes, Daiya freezes very well!
And the non-light Smart Balance Organic also says vegan on it! I was surprised by this when I was visiting my daughter and her store does not carry EB...I thought I was going to have to go with the SB light but saw that the organic SB was also vegan!

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Yeah SB organic. The last time I saw that I stocked up because it was on clearance! That was much like reg. EB

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Don't do Smart Balance Light unless organic one because regular one has EDTA in it.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Don't do Smart Balance Light unless organic one because regular one has EDTA in it.
What exactly is so terrible about this EDTA stuff?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
For savoury toast such as peanut butter you can just sprinkle some olive oil with a pinch of salt on it. You can also make garlic bread this way too- add a thin layer of crushed garlic and some chopped parsley and toast it in an oven.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

For savoury toast such as peanut butter you can just sprinkle some olive oil with a pinch of salt on it. You can also make garlic bread this way too- add a thin layer of crushed garlic and some chopped parsley and toast it in an oven.
Mmmm... sounds delicious.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Cut the top off a whole garlic, put on foil, drizzle with olive oil, and roast for maybe 10-15 minutes (Help with that?). The roasted garlic can be pushed out of it's wrapper and is delicious on potatoes or anything.

Was Freesia suggesting olive oil and salt on PB toast?

Explain EDTA's?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Sadly, Earth Balance and other vegan margarines are usually made of mostly palm oil, which is bad for the environment and wild animals due to destruction of rainforests. There is a canola oil spread from Spectrum that is pretty good, but a bit expensive. If you like olive oil, that is an excellent option. Try brushing or spraying it on. Also try jam, peanut butter, or hummus for something tasty to spread on bread.

For cheese, there are lots of options. I like galaxy vegan slices for grilled cheese - make sure they say vegan on the label as they also make casein containing non vegan cheeses. Daiya pepper jack is one of my favorites for nachos, tacos, grilled cheese etc. For mozzarella I like Follow Your Heart brand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts