VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of food sold out there is not sold in sizes that are easy for a single person to use without eating the same thing over and over (and over) again, or using in multipe recipes. I am looking for some ideas on what to purchase and make in order to minimize my econonomic costs without being too time consuming, nor dull.

Thought?

Suggestions?

Links?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have the same problem. I look for things I can freeze, mostly. I've also been super busy (bringing work home busy) and so I've been using pre-packaged meals (even though it offends my environmental side with the extra packaging). The Lazy Vegetarian thread might give you some ideas, too.

Things I do: I can find chickpeas in little cans (8 oz??) and can use those to make smaller portions of things. Heinz also sells their vegetarian baked beans in little cans. That's about it for little cans, though. You can make a 1-person stir fry with frozen veggies and rice pretty easily - but if you want to add tofu/seitan you need recipes to use up the leftover tofu/seitan. I freeze my bread and toast what I need there. I freeze marinara in 1-cup servings, and can use that for either 1 huge portion, or 2 rather small portions of pasta. Sometimes I stir in veggie crumbles before I freeze the marinara. I've been wondering lately about making my own wraps and freezing those, too.

There are cookbooks out there for cooking for 1 or 2. I find, though, that those cookbooks work best if you're willing to commit to a week's worth of menus. I'm not that organized these days. My solution is to make a lot of use out of my freezer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I freeze stuff too. If I make a few different things, there's the added benefit of not having to cook every day. Right now, I have frozen individual containers of vegetable soup, lentil soup, vegetarian chili and bean burritos. I can usually find something that appeals to me. I try to make a pot of soup every weekend.

On days when the frozen stuff doesn't appeal to me, I usually make stir-fries or pasta. Stir-fries are best, because I can just make a small portion using fresh or frozen vegetables. With pasta, I'll make a big pot of sauce, freeze some in smaller containers and just make enough pasta for a few meals at a time.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Make use of your freezer, and make food that can multitask!

ie. Press some tofu one day, freeze part, and use part in a stir-fry with veg and jarred sauce. Serve over brown rice; cook enough for the next day. The next day you could make rice pudding for breakfast, serve curry over it, include it in a bean & rice loaf, etc.

If you open a tin of beans and can't finish them quickly enough, freeze them- either on their own or as part of a dish. I never buy smaller tins of beans etc- it's much more economical to purchase the larger tins and freeze part.

Soups are a great idea, as are stews- you can toss in anything you have with some seasonings and liquid and it'll usually work out nicely!

Another thing I like making is roasted veg- you can serve them as a side dish, sandwich filling, with marinara over pasta, with refried beans and homemade tomato salsa in burritos, etc!

If I buy/make a large amount of bread, I slice and freeze. The same goes for muffins, scones and other baked goods.

Chili, curry, baked beans, marinara sauce, etc can all be easily frozen.

It's not too hard!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I make big recipes that I can get several meals out of, then freeze it in individual portions. Toss in the microwave later to eat, on a day when I don't feel like cooking (most days) or when I need something to bring to work for lunch.

--Fromper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.