VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for those that celebrate Chanukah. What do you do about lighting candles. I assume regular Chanukah candles are made with animal products (please correct me if I am mistaken)? Does anyone know if they may soy candles for Chanukah menorahs?

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I've never heard of soy Chanukah candles. I don't know what Chanukah candles are usually made of. The boxes I've gotten in the past don't tell you what the candles are made of.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think that beeswax candles are usually listed as such. I could be mistaken, but my impression is that most Chanukah candles are made from paraffin, if for no other reason than it's less expensive than wax.

To my knowledge, paraffin candles contain no animal products. Speaking only for myself, however, I think it's kinder on the environment to use beeswax (which doesn't harm the bees at all) than petroleum products.

·
Registered
548 Posts
paraffin candles is what I know too. some of the special decorative candles can be made out of wax (and I'm not even sure about that), but not the simple ones.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Most candles are not made with animal fat anymore. THey are made with petroleum byproducts. THey may contain beeswax, which can be a no-no for vegans, but I would bet money that most are perfectly vegetarian.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.