VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never, never thought I'd say this but I like sweet potatoes.

Seriously I've hated these things for years and banned them from our Thanksgiving feasts. Even when I was a baby my mom couldn't get me to eat the nasty things all mashed up.

So why would I suddenly try them again given my previous aversion... Well my wife likes them AND my wife saw a box of them for a good price at Costco. So rather than let them go to waste I searched for sweet potato recipes, found one I actually liked quite a bit. So yesterday I was doing up a double batch to tie the Mrs over while I'm gone out of town for 4 days later this week and I found myself unable to stop eating the plain cooked sweet potatoes. Weird.

Anyone else have something that they previously detested before going veggie that they had a change of heart about?

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
I used to hate sweet potatoes as a kid as well, but it think it's because my mom always made them with that disgusting sugary glaze on them. By themselves, they are delicious! They are especially tasty as french fries.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It wasn't a before vs after going veg change ... but I used to hate and despise cooked carrots. Then I got pregnant with my daughter and couldn't get enough of them. Oddly enough, my daughter (15) cannot stand cooked carrots. LOL

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTree15 View Post

I used to hate sweet potatoes as a kid as well, but it think it's because my mom always made them with that disgusting sugary glaze on them. By themselves, they are delicious! They are especially tasty as french fries.
Yeah, I'm almost positive that's the way I had them served with a sweet glaze or marshmallows or some such stuff. I don't have much of a sweet tooth. Plain sweet potatoes while sweet aren't too much so for my tastes atm.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've always hated sweet potatoes as well. I haven't tried them since going veg, but your story has convinced me to give them another try really soon. Overall I'm enjoying fruit and veggie eating much more than ever, and I just bet I'll enjoy me some sweet potatoes...

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Yeah, I'm almost positive that's the way I had them served with a sweet glaze or marshmallows or some such stuff. I don't have much of a sweet tooth. Plain sweet potatoes while sweet aren't too much so for my tastes atm.
Agreed. I think my mom used marshmallows as well. I have a sweet tooth, but not when it comes to my veggies

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Zucchini View Post

I've always hated sweet potatoes as well. I haven't tried them since going veg, but your story has convinced me to give them another try really soon. Overall I'm enjoying fruit and veggie eating much more than ever, and I just bet I'll enjoy me some sweet potatoes...
This is the recipe that won me over.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/01...rt-tahini.html

Wonderful plain or in wraps with the tahini sauce. I didn't/don't have access to soy yogurt so I just substituted 1/2 cup soy yogurt into 1/4 soy milk. Tastes good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

I always used to despise peppers, but I now love them.
My wife always despised stuffed peppers, I'm gonna have to try some out on her and see if she likes them now. I can always use the argument that I tried sweet potatoes again because of her.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:

I was going to say I couldn't think of anything that I hated as an omni and now love. I was never crazy about peppers though. I wouldn't say that I love them, but I like them a lot more now.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:

My wife always despised stuffed peppers, I'm gonna have to try some out on her and see if she likes them now. I can always use the argument that I tried sweet potatoes again because of her.
I started out small; eating things with peppers in. They used to make me gag, so I couldn't even stand to have them in my food. But after a few sauces, I moved up to eating bigger chunks in things like fajitas, then raw peppers in salads, and stuffed/roasted whole peppers. Now they're a staple in my weekly shop, although I'm still not too crazy about the green ones.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I've been on a sweet potato kick for the past 2 weeks. I can't seem to get enough. Sweet potato chili, roasted sweet potatoes, sweet potato fries, sweet potato/black bean burritos, etc. I feel so deprived because I went years without being introduced to them.

I discovered brussel sprouts last year for the first time. Another vegetable that I wish I had tried years ago.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I used to loathe coconut but now I like it......I still dont like onions or cinnamon but its a start

peace

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

I used to loathe coconut but now I like it......
Heh I did too! Especially ground coconut; now I can't imagine cooking Asian food without coconut cream and I really love the flavor!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTree15 View Post

I used to hate sweet potatoes as a kid as well, but it think it's because my mom always made them with that disgusting sugary glaze on them.
Quote:

Yeah, I'm almost positive that's the way I had them served with a sweet glaze or marshmallows or some such stuff. I don't have much of a sweet tooth.
Ha ha...that's my favorite way to have them!
I like the fries, too.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post

I was going to say I couldn't think of anything that I hated as an omni and now love. I was never crazy about peppers though. I wouldn't say that I love them, but I like them a lot more now.
Quote:

I started out small; eating things with peppers in. They used to make me gag, so I couldn't even stand to have them in my food. But after a few sauces, I moved up to eating bigger chunks in things like fajitas, then raw peppers in salads, and stuffed/roasted whole peppers. Now they're a staple in my weekly shop, although I'm still not too crazy about the green ones.
I never liked peppers, either. I still don't like actually eating them, but I love the flavor of peppers in certain dishes. So I'll add them for flavor when cooking then pick them out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts