VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typical things. You change as a person, but a career is a longer term commitment. What to do?.

My career #2 that is on the rocks, until I get a new port. to show.

Due to to the circumstances, I now actually loathe massage, activity hate it to the point where doing it makes me cry sometimes. I just want to quit but then what?...with no portfolio, I can't pursue that career very well yet either. I wish I could drug myself to get through the rest of massage class so I didn't have to experience it anymore.

If I don't do it, I go back to loss of self enpowerment, financial problems and no future, So I know I have to do it. I know people do this all the time because they need an income and I'm just ashamed at how I'm coping with it. So how do you cope with a job you hate?. There must be some tricks.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
It's a lot easier to cope with a job if you know it's temporary. College students do this all the time. It makes washing dishes in a restaurant kitchen a lot more palatable.

If you're so close to the end of the massage class it would be silly to back out (and you can't get any money back), then finish it and look for something else. If you work a short-term massage job while pursuing other interests, that's fine. However, if you hate it to the point of inflicting damage on the customers, stay away from the massage center.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan to finnis,h but I need some kind of coping methods so I'll pass.

Stilldread massage. but I guess massage isn't making me sick, that's frustration related.

It's too bad people in my life turned something I somewhat enjoyed into this experience.

Hmm, I thought more people out there hated their jobs.

EDIT:Oh well..glad so many VPers like their jobs/careers

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

If I don't do it, I go back to loss of self enpowerment, financial problems and no future,
If you continue on with a job that you loathe that much, you wont be experiencing self-empowerment or envisioning much of a future anyway, so it's probably no big deal to cut your losses now and get out.

Code:

I plan to finnis,h but I need some kind of coping methods so I'll pass.

If you don't like what you are doing and finding it difficult to cope, is there really much point in you bothering to pass?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

It's too bad people in my life turned something I somewhat enjoyed into this experience.
this sounds like some explanation might help us help you more.......

maybe you can get help to get over whatever made you feel so uncomfortable with massage?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

this sounds like some explanation might help us help you more.......

maybe you can get help to get over whatever made you feel so uncomfortable with massage?
I agree that we need some more explanation as to what happened so we can understand if it is the class you are hating or massage. Maybe when you finish the class and get a massage therapist position, you will return to liking it again. But, if you don't, my advice is to stick it out until you find something else you enjoy doing. Going to a job you hate everyday is the worst!! I have had 2 jobs I hated and really knew I had to stick it out till something better happened. It is always easier to get a job when you have a job for some reason. Also, I see from your profile you are having lots of difficulty now in your life. Any job, no matter how bad, will help keep you from going under and also show your landlord, creditors, etc. that you are trying! I don't pretend to know all you are going through, but I do empathize with you. Stick it out and maybe try to get a grant to go to night school and find something you really enjoy--like maybe something in the arts since you like being a cartoonist! Sometimes life just sucks, but if you stick out the tough times, it really can make you into a much stronger person. Don't give up! Keep plugging away and eventually you will persevere. I always tried to visualize myself in my dream job while at the job I hated. As long as I knew I was trying to better my situation or working positively toward the goal, it sort of helped the misery to be somewhat less. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you give us background info we could maybe help u more?

Do it part time and get a second part time job in another industry to try how you like it before committing yourself to the new one?

Other than that do as most of the world do, live for your holidays and days off, and buy lottery tickets!

I hate my job too btw but I don't really know what I actually want to do instead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts