VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone!

i've been vegan for 11.5 years and i love it and i would never go back. but that's not why i am writing.

yesterday i was at whole foods, looking for some nondairy ice cream and i picked up the one i usually get (soy delicious) and it now says 'made on machines which also process dairy and nuts' or something like that.

i know that this warning is for allergic people and not necessarily for vegans but i felt weird. i have been eating this for a long time and i know it didn't say that before. and i'm pretty certain that they didn't just change their equipment. so i got tofutti instead.

and then i was thinking about it. i live with two other nonvegans and we all use the same dishes and pots and i don't think about that much. i am pretty strict in other areas (toiletries, clothing). is it the same thing as my using the same plates (washed) as the ice cream company using the same machines (washed)?

i always have refrained from other products which say 'may contain trace amounts of dairy' and i still will but is that the same as being made on the same machines?

may i have some opinions?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I think it is exactly the same as sharing dishes or pots & pans that have had dairy stuff in them. I agree that they put that warning for legal reasons, in case someone is deathly allergic to dairy, and a tiny speck escapes being washed off the equipment.

I think this product would still qualify as suitable for vegans. Any minute residue of dairy on the equipment would certainly not be your fault, and you wouldn't be contributing to the use of dairy products.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I've thought about this recently, as my husband loves his meat. (Wait, that didn't sound right.
) Luckily I control the cleaning of the dishes, so I still use the same pot to cook my couscous that he uses for baked beans (or whatever). I'm not vegan yet, but that (the manufacturer's machines) may worry me when I do make the transition. Who knows what the conditions are in those plants?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It´s more an aesthetic question. The risk of contamination through plates is nearly nil. A hackboard, where you chop your veggies after someone has chopped up his nearly vegetarian chicken is a risk; a real risk if you consider the contamination with salmonella.

I wouldn´t like to use the same utensils for cooking, but I wouldn´t be upset with plates or glasses.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I use one chop board for vegetables, and one for meat. Luckily it's just a matter of me placing meat in a pan or pot, so I don't have to touch it very much (or chop it).

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I think when a package says "may contain trace amounts of dairy," then it's the same things as being made on the same machines. I don't let this worry me at this point.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I'd like to offer my two groszy on this one:

I'm Ok with this sort of stuff. No animal ingredients were intentionally put into the batch, so if you do consume a microgram of milk, then it wasn't added to that batch, it was simply left over from the last one. You won't be hurting or saving any more animals by making either choice. However, it rests in your hands over whether you mind the possibility that you might be consuming a trace amount of dairy.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Imagine Foods just did a voluntary recall of some of their products.

I also noticed that my favorite (vanilla carob chip) isn't on their list of vegan products. I wrote them about it, but didn't get a clear answer.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Pangea has a disclaimer about this sort of thing. I agree with them entirely, and don't think that avoiding those products does any good. I think everyone should support those companies, because that's the only way they'll be big enough to even think about buying their own dedicated machines. Here's the disclaimer if anyone wants to read it:

http://www.veganstore.com/disclaimer.html

·
Registered
499 Posts
Also, if you get stuck eating at meat serving restaurants from time to time, I'm sure the cross contamination (or unknown ingredients) is worse when ordering a veggie dish from their menu. Just one of those lame things we have to deal with I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts