VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering who here has changed their way of eating because of the hopes to improve health issues?<br><br><br><br>
Not only am i changing the way i feel about "eating/killing" animals for MY wants and needs, Im always wishing to better my health. I have a heart problem, diabetic, thyroid issues and more. Was wondering how many others do to.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm definitely a vegan for health reasons promarily. Or a "dietary vegan" or - since some think there's no such thing - they'll say I'm a "strict vegetarian".<br><br><br><br>
Whatever the title, I started it mostly for my family's health, but regardless of a person's reasons, I think they can't help but become concerned/interested also in the ethics of a vegetarian/vegan diet after a whle...

·
Registered
204 Posts
My immediate reasons for turning vegetarian were strictly for health. I have a long list of ailments. Some of them are diabetes (with severe neuropathy and the accompanying pain), polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), glaucoma, sleep apnea.....<br><br><br><br>
In the past 6 months, I have seen improvements in my health. I think the biggest changes have come since giving up dairy on June 4. I cannot say for sure that my eating habits have effected the change, but I know of no other reason.<br><br><br><br>
Since giving up dairy, my allergies have diminished to almost nothing. I haven't been taking any allergy medicine for the past 3 weeks and I am able to breathe (my head was always stuffed up...year round, so this is significant). I also have been able to decrease my insulin significantly in the past month. I monitor my bloodsugar closely, and I have had to decrease the amount I take in order to avoid low blood sugars.<br><br><br><br>
The jury is still out on whether my eating habits are the cause of changes or not....but it must have some impact....I've made no other changes in my life.<br><br><br><br>
That said, my reasons for being vegan have a much broader scope now. I am concerned about the effect of the cattle and meat processing industry on animals, the humans who work in the industry and the effects on the environment.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My journey to being vegan started when I read Eat to Live after reading a recommendation for it on a fitness board. It isnt a fully vegan diet as it allows up to 10% of your calories to come from non-plant foods (not very much food because animal products tend to be very calorie dense). I did very well on that diet. My cholesteral went from 188 to below 150 and I lost the last 10 lbs that I wanted to. The more I started reading, the more I started doing it for ethical reasons. Giving up that last little bit of animal products was easy for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Other than the obvious reason one would want to (slaughtering animals)...<br><br><br><br>
My grandmother is a diabetic. I had three uncles. One is still alive and is diabetic (and smokes). My oldest uncle was diabetic (needed dialysis, lost a toe, went totally blind and within two years of going blind --- died). My youngest uncle was overweight (20lbs maybe), smoked like a $!#@, was not a diabetic, and sadly passed away last week from a severe heartattack sitting at the computer. No warning, no nothing, just gone at 51 years. My mother is in pretty good shape but has had multiple surgeries for diverticulitis and hernias.<br><br><br><br>
See my concerns for "health issues" ? I'm perfectly healthy at the moment but who knows what would/could happen in ten years.<br><br><br><br>
Robwen, best wishes with your choice. It's difficult at first but if done correctly it's a much better and healthy decision to be a veg than not.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm mostly into it for the health reasons, but also for environmental reasons. And don't forget the hormones. But now i care about the animals more also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts