VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
chana saag aloo (creamy chick peas and potatoes)

Category: Main Dishes - Other

Suitable for a: vegan diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

one medium onion, minced

3 cloves garlic, minced

one large potato, cut into small cubes

1 tbs cooking oil

one cup cooked chick peas

1/2 can coconut milk (about 3/4 cup + 2 Tbs)

1 cup chopped tomato

1+ cups shredded spinach

1 tbs. + curry powder

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper powder

1/2 tsp. cumin powder

1.5 TB nutritional yeast

salt to taste

Instructions:

In a saucepan, heat oil and add garlic and onions. Cook until translucent, add potatoes and spices. Cook for about 3 minutes, then add coconut milk, nut. yeast, chick peas and chopped tomato. Simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes, then stir in shredded spinach. Let it wilt, then serve over rice.

Additional comments:

Makes two good-sized servings. White jasmine rice worked well with this, but I imagine lots of kinds would. This reheats well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just tried this for the first time. Had to use crushed red pepper instead of cayenne. Not sure how much of a difference there is. Also didn't have any curry on hand. Still turned out great. Even my picky teenage omni son loves it.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
ohhh get thee some curry! anyone every try The Spice Hunter's Curry powder? totally awesome! particularly in the pumpkin and squash based soups. lots of different curries to choose from. also love red curries, thai and indian curries....to curry favor, favor curry!

this recipe sounds awesome.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
oh yeah, my whole family loves this recipe. i've taken to just sprinkling the dish with the raw spinach right before i put it on the table because the kids object to the cooked spinach texture.

here's the one that's been on my site for a few years now:

http://veganmania.com/recipes/pages/chana_saag_aloo.htm

seems almost identical but you've cut the proportions back so that it yields less.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kreeli, I may very well have originally gotten the recipe from your site. I modify everything at least a bit, and then I can never remember where they came from!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This recipe was really delicious. I have been looking for more vegan recipes with a creamy texture and the coconut milk worked great in this.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I made this last night and I thought it was great! Thanks for posting it Meatless.

Now I just need a really good channa masala recipe

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I just made some but I don't have any spinach until 9am so I'm not supposed to eat any yet... but I have a little bowl anyways. Damn it's good!

Thank you Meatless.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I made this last night, but instead of the coconut milk (I didn't have any), I just used sweetened soy milk. I still thought it was good. The only suggestion I would make is to put in some more tomatoes and at least double the amount of spinach.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
This sounds yummy. I think I will buy the coconut milk though as that might give it a special flavor.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I made this today with the coconut milk and I love it! I'm not a fan of curry but I toned it down some and it was really, really good! I am a very happy veggie person!

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I made this for the first time last night! OMG, sooooo good!!

I followed the amounts on Kreeli's recipe, and added a couple more cloves of garlic and about a teaspoon extra of cayenne.

My apartment still smells good.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
^^^ Ha, I didn't know this was in VB recipes too - I found it on veganmania a while ago, and have made it regularly ever since. So good and easy, everyone should try it. Today.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I made this tonight. Oh my gosh!
I cut the cayenne back to 1/4t and used a whole can of light coconut milk, but the rest of the recipe I followed exactly. I'm going to make it often!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts