VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw an interesting recipe which I would like to try. However it calls for dried mango. I do not have this and probably will not even try to get it. What I would like to know - does anyone have a suggestion for a substitute? Thanks

Lyndi

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
In chana masala!?!?! Really?!?!?! I've never put that stuff in mine, nor to suspect it is in the "Green Guru" brand (amazingly good for frozen food). I could be wrong about the last part. Check the 'market - see if they have something like dried mango. Try it without - I can't imagine it's a crucial ingredient...

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
It's not crucial, as I've had it without and it tastes fine. But this Indian restaurant nearby makes it with mango... And it is really good. Gives it a nice sweetness.

If you can't find it, don't stress. The recipe will still work fine without it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would imagine that any other dried fruit would do. You can surely find dried apricots or dried prunes can't you? If not, then don't add them. Add something else that seems appetizing to you.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
i often put fruit in my spicy dishes...something wonderful about sweetness and fire together. try raisins, or chopped fresh apples, or even just eating it with some mango chutney...

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I second Kreeli's suggestion of using some mango chutney on the side ... I'm sure dried apricots or peaches would work in your recipe, but there is no subsitute for the wonderful mango!

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
If you can't find dried mango perhaps you could buy a fresh mango and dry it? Or frozen mango pieces? My supermarket had them, at one time. I've also seen canned mango. You could dry that too. I think i've seen dried mango in health food stores.

I think they may have had sugar or honey added.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
i always sub lemon juice for the tartness of the mango. Another Idea is to mix in like 1.5 tbsp. of soy yogurt at the very end of cooking. It'll make a creamy and yummy gravy.

What you can do is cruise to the local pan-asian grocery and look for amchur (mango powder) in the spice section.

ebola

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So many responses - what fun! Thank you all!

I guess I will try fresh mango next time. This time I did put some lime juice in instead- but I can see that the sweetness would have worked out better - I made it rather hot!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
can you post the recipe? i looooooove chana masala

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This recipe can be found on VegWeb.com/food/beans/chanamasala.shtml

it is probably best to go directly there. You can also go to recipes-regional-Indian-chana masala: which is how I found it.

Oddly enough I wound up putting a Thai plum spring roll sauce into the leftovers and it worked wonderfully. Nice since I use a lot of that on other stuff - so I always have some on hand!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I've never put fruit in my chana masala and I got the recipe from vegweb as well. Although my recipe is for Quick and Easy Chana and is kind of a bastardized version of the real thing.

I'll have to try it with some mango chutney. Sounds yummy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts