VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mmkay. It's very nice to get my daily dose of those essential vitamins and nutrients from fortified cereals. But lately, I've become concerned over some of these being non-vegan. Does anyone have a list, or know of a few off the top of their head, of widely available vegan cereals?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I emailed kelloggs, they emailed me back saying all their "vitamins and minerals" are synthetically derived therefore vegan. I email general mills about thier cheerios, and they said everything was fine but teh vitamin D, then they said it was fine, then over the phone it was ok, then one final email I sent them replied with not vegan, so in my book cheerios are not vegan. I emailed quaker, and so far, the ones I've asked about are indeed vegan (cinnalife, life, quaker oats, quaker oats cinnamon)

yay!

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The email I recieved about Cheerios' vitamin D was that it was D3. So I assume that's not vegan. Hm. Go Kellogg's! Thanks Keegan.

·
Registered
152 Posts
argh, i had cheerios for breakfast today cuz my mom gave me a box and the fact that they didn't specify their vitamin D being D2 was really bothering me, but i was hungry so i ate away. D3 is the one from wool or fish.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yer.. I had Cheerios the other morning, which got me thinking about this as I was reading the box (it's a habit from childhood, I always do the puzzles on the back of my cereal boxes). I noticed they didn't specify D2 and inquired...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I don't eat a lot of major manufacturer's cereal other than Post's Grape Nuts. The rest of my cereal comes from Arrowhead Mills, Kashi (their vegan varieties), Trader Joe's, and lots of hot cereal varieties like organic oatmeal and quinoa, as well as grains from Arrowhead Mills, like their Rice and Shine or 7-Grain Cereal.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I like the new Strawberry Promise organic cereal A LOT. They have another one which has something like 7 puffed grains, all of which are organic, but it's way more bland than Strawberry Promise. Everyone's got a knock-off of this now, including Trader Joe's, but theirs isn't nearly as good.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I have no reason to believe they're not, but I don't manufacture them myself, so... if you're really worried, go to Post Cereal's website to find their contact info and ask them. They certain don't use any animal ingredients that I've ever seen on the label, but I wouldn't have any idea if they use unfriendly products or processes in manufacturing. I doubt it, though. I'm not even sure about fortification (D3 and all that), and since I don't have a box handy at the moment (I haven't had any in about a month), I can't check that out for you.

If you find that for any reason it isn't, I'd really like to hear about it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
this is interesting cuz i definently was informed from general mills that multi grain cheerios were vegan so i started eating them again.. guess they are back off the list, but it doesn't really matter cuz i really only eat them at school cuz i can buy them with my meal card:p

·
Registered
444 Posts
This is interesting...it seems like cereals in the US have way more vitamins added than in Canada. I have been to the General Mills and Kellogg's websites and they list sooo many vitamins! Here, most cereals do not have Vitamin D (at least I assume they don't, if the nutritional info is correct). They have some B vitamins (most don't have B12, though), and maybe Vitamin A...and some minerals, like iron. But that's about it.

I used to love Multi-Grain Cheerios but stopped eating them because they contain monoglycerides. I was too lazy to contact them and find out if it was animal or vegetable derived. lol Maybe they are okay here since they don't have D3. Still, if they can't give an accurate answer to the vitamin D question, I'm not sure I'd trust them on other questionable ingredients being vegan either.

As for the vitamin D issue, maybe their source of Vitamin D varies, and that's why they don't give a consistant answer? Hmm...

·
Registered
0 Posts
I eat Nature's Path cereals

Barbara's Bakery Puffins

Arrowhead Mills

Full Circle

Erewhon

I mostly eat those and sometimes I eat Rice Chex like cereal

Richfood brand.

Shannon/Zimma

·
Registered
811 Posts
Oh, man...Nature's Path and Arrowhead Mills. They are the BEST! (I love cereal). I love this newer cereal (I think that it is Nature's Path - I'll have to check) called "Optimum". Very yummy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.