VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BPA spikes 1,200 percent after eating canned soup: study

Meanwhile, the Harvard study authors said their findings should encourage people who eat a lot of canned foods to opt for fresh instead, and should serve as a red flag to manufacturers who use BPA to make cans.

The magnitude of the rise in urinary BPA we observed after just one serving of soup was unexpected and may be of concern among individuals who regularly consume foods from cans or drink several canned beverages daily, said senior author Karin Michels.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/11/2...ed-soup-study/

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I haven't been all that concerned with this BPA issue so far because there's no strong evidence that it crosses over to humans.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

I haven't been all that concerned with this BPA issue so far because there's no strong evidence that it crosses over to humans.
Very interesting - I hadn't heard that. Do you have any good sources? Are you saying that it seems to just pass through the human system (but not the nonhuman systems that have been studied)?

·
Registered
173 Posts
1,200% seems like a lot, but if the original levels are (almost) non-existant, it might not be as much as they make it seem. It also states that as BPA is usually eliminated in the urine, spikes are generally considered temporary. Obviously, it's something that should be researched further, and I'm not saying people should just ignore it, but I'm still going to eat canned food every now and then when I need the convenience. I'm not an expert or anything, it just seems a bit like scaremongering to me. It is a news article after all.

·
Registered
582 Posts
This BPA thing has been hanging around for a while. It could be scaremongering, e.g. the fresh food producers taking on the canned foods industry, or we could all be about to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

^
bpa metabolites will be fighting for survival in your urine.lol.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I been eatin canned food products since the summer because I had to have those yucky chef boy ardee crap and yes with yucky animal products in it because of teeth problems, If I didn't I would've starved and I was just still learning to transition , I am still because I am still distracted, going to start over in 2012.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

I been eatin canned food products since the summer because I had to have those yucky chef boy ardee crap and yes with yucky animal products in it because of teeth problems, If I didn't I would've starved and I was just still learning to transition , I am still because I am still distracted, going to start over in 2012.
Teeth problems? baked squashes are good for that....

But back to the topic...I am not sure about BPA. But I work in an industry that is wrestling with phthalates which is another chemical that can leech from plastics. Phthalytes are used to make plastics pliable and also are used in cosmetics (especially perfume) to help the products adhere to the skin.Through years of study, it has been found to be a hormone disruptor and, therefore, problematic for children who are still developing. In fact, phthalytes are BANNED in the US for use in childrens products. A ban, however, doesn't mean that commercially available products are safe. Only those manufactured AFTER Jan 1 2012 will need to pass 3rd party tests. Why only new products? B/c the toy industry has effectively lobbied for it.

The thing that most ppl do not know, is that many of these types of chemicals have been developed fairly recently so the safety of the substances are really unknown. So for me, I would err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

What do animal products have to do with teeth problems???

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
After reading this thread, I ate some soup that was packaged in a TetraPak container--the same type of container that Rice Milk and other "health food" foods are packaged in. Mostly paper/cardboard, but with a plastic coating. I wonder whether this has the same sort of BPA problems as cans. I could not find any info about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetra_Pak

1 - 12 of 12 Posts