VeggieBoards banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
BTW the thread WAS started in a civil manner it just degenerated from then on

And don't worry I'll never discuss anything on here again - there are obviously more feral vegans and veggies than cats

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thefragile77

Well I was a CHILD at the time - we are talking as a ten year old. I didn't really have much control over the 'dang' cat. And it is actually those incidents that made me think twice about them in the first place
. I was not an adult at the time nor was I able to make decisions like that. And cats still suck.
Okay that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. My parent's also used to let their cats out and they would also bring in dead birds and rabbits hoping to teach us to hunt. I got my cat from my roommate a year ago and have never let it outside, for it's own safety. He is neutered however, and my biggest pet peeve (if you can call it that) is people who don't alter their pets. Even if you never intend to let your dog or cats out of your sight, they still could manage to escape and it's often during those chance nights out that result in another litter. I'm not concerned about the cats killing a bird or a mouse so much as I am concerned about them breeding! or getting hit by a car.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

*makes a list of juvenile board members to avoid*
You aren't going to have many people to talk to now are you?

Are you saying I'm a juvenile because I did this
. Heh heh its funny. Damn I'd hate to actually TRY to have fun with some of you people. Lighten up people or I'll moon you again

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hi. I am not a cat person, but I would never go so far as to say that I actually "hate" any animal. I don't think that pigs are attractive - in fact, I find them repulsive, but I don't hate them at all. In fact, I have met pigs that I truly liked - I just think that they are butt ugly.

You can see that I have "attoning for horses" on my Avatar. This is because I was involved in the horse industry for over 20 years. For 10 years, I was a professional horse trainer, seller, and polo player. I finally burned out and quit, even though I was one of the top female polo players in the world. I have decided since then, that we really are enslavers of other species.

Everyone - EVERYONE - who has known me for a long time has eventually asked if I would ride again. Since I quit in 1993, I have told everyone the same thing: I rode 6+ horses per day, 6 days a week for over 10 years. Even I was surprised at my complete lack of interest in horses after them being my life since age 10.

I have come to realize that there is another part of me that was waiting to come forward and that has moved far past my horse enslaving past. There have been hundreds, maybe as many as a thousand, horse for which I have cared, trained, sold and "owned" in my life. I, of all people, understand that they are, indeed, enslaved.

Horses don't need us to survive, and we take this beautiful creature and manipulate it for our pleasure. The horse industry is brutal and cruel, and I am telling you that people who say that their horse is their "friend" are kidding themselves. Horses want to be in a herd, outdoors and free.

So this is my rant. I also have an animal science degree from Cornelly University, and I have seen the enslavement and torture first hand ( I "milked" 475 cows per day at the Cornell Dairy Teaching and Research center as a summer job one year).

I now have 4 Chihuahuas and have allowed my 5 year old to buy and keep as pets 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Mice, 1 Hamster and 2 Parakeets. I regret getting her these pets. They were all pre-vegan. I understand now that I am enslaving these pets, and encouraging further breeding of them for "pets".

Personally, I think that the only animal that is truly integrated with humans is the dog. The domesticated dog is so far removed from it's wild roots that it actually craves human companionship. I think that cats interact with us because we give them no choice as kittens and circumstances. I have a cat, but I don't like his personality. I thought of taking him and having him put down (I got him from a no kill shelter, also), but can't bring myself to do it. Instead I thought of putting the following ad in our paper:

"For sale - mean cat. Neutered male outdoor cat. Kills birds. Eats lots of food. Won't use a litter box. Sprays on everything. Bites and scratches on a whim. $50."

What do you think?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Mouse, your quote reminded me of when I went to the Ernest Hemingway House in Key West. There are 60+ cats on the property and they are the ancestors of the original cats that Hemingway had (so they say) and they all have extra toes. (There is some more scientific term for this -- polydactyl? Am I making that up? Anyways, I don't remember the word). I am not a cat person myself (dogs forever!) but the cats at the Hemingway house were really something... Maybe it was because of the history there, but they seemed mystical... And they were very sweet. (Poor things have to deal with tourists coming in and out all day long)

Anyways, I never liked cats (I'm severely allergic) but when I became vegetarian I felt I had to come to terms with them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Polydactyl is the right word for it.
Yes, Hemingway was a great cat lover, as was Mark Twain. There are some great cat quotes from both of them.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Yep, polydactyl.

EquiPro, I love your tag line and your story. =)

As for your cat, I can't see killing him for that(!), instead, take him to kitty therapy. Or just keep him indoors, regulate his food, give him chicken or fish as a treat, buy pheremone spray to calm him down, and a squirt bottle to stop the scratching, and consult with your vet for more ideas. Some cat's aren't very nice, either are some dogs, and they require a lot of work! Also, most no-kill shelters have a no questions asked return policy for animals that you adopt from them, so before even considering putting him down (and hopefully you were just kidding) please see about returning him to the shelter and perhaps they can work with him and find a home with experienced cat owners. There are lots of cat owners on this board so maybe some of them can help you with your problems?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Nah - I won't put him down - damn it!

It's sort of like thinking that I'd like to take a hammer to my husband's head sometimes (just a thought - married 15 years and still going strong). I promise, I wouldn't really put "Monster" down.

I have thought about taking him back to the facility, but I'll probably just put up with him. He's been an outdoor cat for 4+ years, and outdoors he'll stay. There are 3 or 4 cats on my end of the block that circulate for the vittles in the morning, and, basically just hang out. He's one of them.

BTW, the reason that I thought of putting that add in the paper is the reality of human nature - nothing for free is really a bargain, but if you CHARGE something for it, then it MUST be great.

(true story - almost sold Tommy Lee Jones- yea, THAT T.L.J. - a polo pony. The horse was perfect for him. I was asking 10K for it, but decided to give him a deal at $8500. After he played the horse flawlessly [with all the other players/ trainers - my competition - telling him that he'd better buy that horse by golly], he came up to me and said that he thought that the horse was really nice and a fabulous looker, but that he was looking for a "pricier" type of horse!
Go figure. FYI - I decided to up my price to 11K, and sold it to someone else 2 days later. What had I learned? Never give someone a deal. Ask for more than you think, and they'll bite).

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Cats are adorable. They are my favourite animal. Sucks to all who hate them so much. If you don't like something, you can choose to avoid it. I don't like reactionary, religious zealots, so I wouldn't live with one or people who keep them as pets. That way I don't have to put up with them, and I don't develop feelings of hatred.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Quote:
I don't like reactionary, religious zealots, so I wouldn't live with one or people who keep them as pets. That way I don't have to put up with them, and I don't develop feelings of hatred. [/B]
People can keep religious zealots as pets now? That's just sick.

Heehee, sorry that sentence just cracked me up.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Just had to add my two cents worth. I'm in Australia and I understand the threat cats may pose to native species, which is one of the reasons Socrates (thats my cat) is an indoor cat, with a vast amount of supervised romping in the garden though. The other reason is of course that I dont want her to get hit by a car accidently or on purpose (I still to this day can not get over the fact that, some people run over cats, on purpose!!), or hurt in any way.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Wow, lots of strong feelings on this topic.

I have three cats, all rescued strays that are fixed and stay indoors. My two dogs are also rescued strays. I don't identify with all of their behavior, e.g. they eat meat, I don't. But I love them and I'm glad I was able to give them a home.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've yet to meet any animal that I've hated. Every animal on this earth has some niche in the system & in the cases that that is no longer true it's because human beings have stuffed it up. I feel sorry for any person that hates an animal cos of what WE have made it into. Harm endangered species? Go look in the mirror....cats have got nothing on humans.

Btw the line about the keeping of religious zealots as pets gave me a giggle too! Lol.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I have a cat that I try hard to like. She has nothing but contempt for me though (along with the rest of the human population), and that complicates the situation

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
My cats don't seem to have the famous feline-aloofness thing going on; they're totally snuggly. Maybe it's because (I freely admit this) I speak to them in their own language -- and they understand, I swear!

OK, so I'm a crazy cat lady ...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AusChic

I've yet to meet any animal that I've hated. Every animal on this earth has some niche in the system & in the cases that that is no longer true it's because human beings have stuffed it up. I feel sorry for any person that hates an animal cos of what WE have made it into. Harm endangered species? Go look in the mirror....cats have got nothing on humans.
Ain't that the truth!!!

And sunnyk: I'm a crazy cat lady too!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm a wee bit scared by all the "hate" going on here. I'm also somewhat of an expert on cats and their behaviour. Your cat is peeing on your things because: you haven't cleaned out the litter box in decades; you're using a litter he doesn't like (i.e. scented); or you've (excuse the pun) peed him off.

I have a no-kill volunteer cat (and the odd rabbit) rescue organization. I've heard and seen scary things and yet I was still horrified by some of the things said here. Although I am at my max with 8 cats I will gladly take your unwanted, neglected, emotionally abused cats into my care and socialize them with love and respect until they are no longer the monsters you see them as being. Either that or I will contact an agency in your area who will do the same.

PM me.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts