VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you promote a company if they tested on cats in order to see if they could survive on a veggie diet? i know its not animal testing in the normal sence, but long term, cats need meat(to my knowlige) with out it they get more health problems and die younger then meat eating cats.

whats you standing on this subject?

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have mixed feelings about vegetarian cat foods. It is ok for humans because we can get what we need from plants. While I do care about the turkeys that went into my cats' Innova, I also care about the health of my cats. And while I am against the slaughter of animals, I am also against molding a companion animal to fit our preferences to the point of risking serious health issues.

On the other hand, how do you find out without trying it? I can't say it would be a bad thing if cats could be completely healthy vegetarians, but how many cats may have to suffer serious health problems in order to find out? I guess I am not really against that kind of research and testing as much as I am concerned about it's potential effects. I would certainly not boycott a company for this reason.

My answer to the question of whether or not my cats should be vegetarians: I have not seen sufficient evidence to convince me that a vegetarian diet is acceptable for my cats' long term health.

·
Registered
590 Posts
this is a touchy subject that is brought up for all animals, time and time again.

For me, my animals are fed a meat diet, because it is how they would be in the wild. They can not make conscious decisions like that, therefore i would not want to risk any health problems for them. If i knew that there would be a vegetarian diet for my animals that would not have any health risks, and maybe even reverse these such risks, then yes i would love to have vegan pets.

all in all, if there was a way to test this on an animal without danger of harming them or irreversable effects then yea im all for it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Im quite in favour, so long as the test subjects are treated properly (by my standards, not animal lab standards) and are not slaughtered after the test has run its course.

I think its worth the risk that the test would not work out the way we might hope and a few animals suffer reduced life expectancies, in order to potentially save the thousands of lives we could if cats could eat veggie.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Sadly i am in favor also...its just like test animals for human medicine. Although i feel terrible for the animals they use, they have made terrific medical advances (for people and animals) by doing so.

Taurine, arachidonic acid and linoleic acid (some of the special nutrients cats require) can be extracted from plant sources, but i'm sure it is more time consuming and expensive.

More concerning is that cats typically have acidic urine, and vegetable diets makes their urine alkaline which can cause problems w/ urinary crystals and stones. But i'm sure it could be regulated w/ acidifiers...

Right now, I think the major issues for anyone producing and testing a vegetarian cat diet is that cats are carnivores. This would concern most people who are not vegetarians. The only interest would be a percentage of vegetarians. No well-known brand wants to go through the extra work to make this when they will just be criticised for it by most people...

·
Registered
261 Posts
I heard that there are vegetarian pets out there but there not mention much. You can probably do some research about it or ask your vet.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Cats are carnivores, they need meat, how would these tests NOT be cruel?
That was my thought too, however I guess the point is that cats obviously need something in meat or else they develop all kinds of serious health defects (from the very common urinary tract infections, to blindness and even death), and it would be beneficial to figure out what it is that cat's need from meat. It's not just taurine because cats feed vegetarian food with taurine supplements don't get blindness but they do still get UTIs especially males. Secondly, feeding trials are carried out all the time by all kinds of pet food manufacturers in order to carry the AAFCO seal of approval (I'm simplifying). If a vegetarian pet food is going to be marketed to consumers, I'd want to know that it was safe and I'd want to see a long-term study that ensures that rather than trusting the manufacturers and finding out they were wrong. That's unfortunately the case right now, if you buy a vegetarian cat food you are gambling with your pets health and life because there have been no studies on vegetarian diets for cats. We need the study, but don't fool yourself into thinking there's a way to run a cruelty-free study, some cats will get sick in the feeding trials.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicCandle View Post

Would you promote a company if they tested on cats in order to see if they could survive on a veggie diet? i
No. I don't believe in feeding obligate carnivores a vegetarian diet and I don't believe in any kind of animal testing that is aimed at making a company money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.