VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my cats really likes soy products. Last night she even ate some edamame that was in my meal, and today wolfed down some No Name Delight takeout from the Grasshopper restaurant in Boston. Is it safe for cats to eat soy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
It's not safe for anyone to eat soy, sorry. She'd be much better off getting organic raw meat as a treat, instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataka View Post

It's not safe for anyone to eat soy, sorry. She'd be much better off getting organic raw meat as a treat, instead.
You are seriously joking, right? Soy is perfectly safe for both people AND cats. And why on earth would anybody feed raw meat - organic or not- to their pets, unless they want to risk their pets getting sick?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Kataka is correct, soy is not healty for a number of reasons.

And yes, organic raw meat is ideal for a cat. That's their natural diet, what else could possibly be superior than that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataka View Post

Yea, it's bad stuff. You can try googling it
I took your advice and did this google search: [google]is soy unsafe[/google]

but the majority of the links said soy was safe and good for you. The only sites that contradicted that seemed to be alarmist propoganda sites.

But when I did a google search for: [google]is soy safe for cats[/google] I couldn't really find an answer from a good source. So I don't know. In dogs it can cause gastrointestinal problems, but I don't know about cats.

I'd worry about transmitting bacterial diseases when feeding raw meat to my animals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Quote:
You are seriously joking, right? Soy is perfectly safe for both people AND cats. And why on earth would anybody feed raw meat - organic or not- to their pets, unless they want to risk their pets getting sick?
Uh, hello? Cats are carnivores, they need meat. Just because some animals aren't designed to eat meat doesn't mean all of them aren't. Like THX said, it's their natural diet. Do you think cats would be happier with a nice juicy liver or a bowl of diseased, low-grade kibble?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,691 Posts
I have been hearing that dogs and cats can be vegan just like people.

I'd have to do more research on that, though. I know people that have done ti and have happy, healthy, vegan pets now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

I have been hearing that dogs and cats can be vegan just like people.

I'd have to do more research on that, though. I know people that have done ti and have happy, healthy, vegan pets now.
While dogs can be vegan, it's better for the kitties that they are fed a carnivorous diet. Hell, I'm a raw foodist and I don't like meat, meat is murder, meat is bad, etc., but I would definitely buy it for my little kitty when I choose to have one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataka View Post

Uh, hello? Cats are carnivores, they need meat. Just because some animals aren't designed to eat meat doesn't mean all of them aren't. Like THX said, it's their natural diet. Do you think cats would be happier with a nice juicy liver or a bowl of diseased, low-grade kibble?
I think a cat would be happier with a nice juicy liver over a bowl of diseased, low-grade kibble.

But what does that prove?

Do you think cats would be happier with a nice fresh bowl of Friskies, or a slab of mold-covered rotten meat infected with salmonella?

For the record, I feed my cats meat. But I don't trust where you're getting your information from. Cats are carnivores, they need certain nutrients found in meat such as taurine which can be made synthetically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I think a cat would be happier with a nice juicy liver over a bowl of diseased, low-grade kibble.

But what does that prove?

Do you think cats would be happier with a nice fresh bowl of Friskies, or a slab of mold-covered rotten meat infected with salmonella?

For the record, I feed my cats meat. But I don't trust where you're getting your information from. Cats are carnivores, they need certain nutrients found in meat such as taurine which can be made synthetically.
The cat would be happier, as in better off and healthier, eating liver as opposed to kibble, which is generally low-grade trash. The point was to compare a cat eating an organ to eating kibble, any kibble.

I don't see a problem referring to kibble as generally low-grade and prone to being diseased. You may misconstrue my meaning of diseased here as what I'm referring requires you know a few things to fully understand the reference. The first thing is that animal kibble routinely contains meat (Friskies does) and that meat is "meat-by-product" (Friskies again) which means left over bits from meat processing and let me tell you they use everything they can. The by-products which they cannot use are disgusting and very prone to disease. Not to get to fixed on the Friskies thing, it is not central to the discussion and I realize that, I just wanted to point it out.

Cat food contains meat because cats are carnivores and they require meat. Humans are not carnivores, we don't require meat and can get by fine without it. I believe it is The Sunfood Diet Success System which contains a breakdown of Carnivore, Herbivore and Omnivore characteristics in case you are interested.

The effects of a vegetarian diet on a real carnivore are devestating. If you really wanted to it might be possible through the use of supplements to sustain a cat on a vegetarian diet but it would be far from a good idea and produce one very unhappy cat.

There is plenty of data available on carnivores and vegetarian diets if you are willing to dig. Superficial research may not turn up this information so maybe that is why you people are doubting this information, as that does seem to be where you get most of your information. Also, it does seem that you are looking for premade answers to your question, rather than perhaps studying basic nutritional and diet concepts, biology and animals.

"Carnivores can't digest plant matter very well, especially if it's uncooked. They have a different strategy. Instead of making all of the nutritional building blocks that they need, they eat other animals who've already done all of this work. This makes life surprisingly simple for strict carnivores. They may spend long hours catching a meal with legs, but they don't have to be very discriminating about which type they catch. Each furry or feathered lunch box is a complete and balanced meal that provides everything they need. Strict carnivores don't even have to eat carbohydrates. They can make them from protein and fat.

So you see, cats are built to eat meat-based diets. Give them an herbivores diet and they're in trouble. Cats have a special requirement for nutrients such as vitamin A and the amino acids taurine and arginine and plants can't provide enough of these. This need is no laughing matter. Even one meal deficient in arginine can do a cat in leading to convulsion, coma, and death. A diet [deficient] in taurine isn't as bad. It may take months for a cat to develop blindness and heart failure from a taurine deficiency." - Sophia Yin (veterinarian, pet columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle, author of The Small Animal Veterinary Nerdbook, expert on animal behavior)

I'm not even going to get into the soy issue because it is wholly seperate and requires quite a lot of research to get at reputable information. Suffice of to say, you will find much more information saying that soy is a great miracle food than you will explaining it's problems, but that does not necessarily make it so. Here are a few sources of information about the dangers of soy if you are interested, The Natural Dangers of Soy and Dangers of Soy Links.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
I have rolled my eyes so hard at this thread I gave myself a headache.

my cat eats a very expensive brand of meat catfood with no fillers. unfountuatly for me, sometimes she supplements with field mouse, but also loves Soy yogurt, tomato sauce and olives. she's very healthy.

let me tell you, while I think incorporating raw foods into one's diet is great, I nearly starved on 100% raw. 50% better for me. Your idea of a healthy diet may not be right for everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieVixen View Post

One of my cats really likes soy products. Last night she even ate some edamame that was in my meal, and today wolfed down some No Name Delight takeout from the Grasshopper restaurant in Boston. Is it safe for cats to eat soy?
bottom line, I think it's okay. everyone eats take out and junk food once in a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

bottom line, I think it's okay. everyone eats take out and junk food once in a while.
Other than humans, domesticated animals are the only species in the animal kingdom who don't eat what is natural for them. We shouldn't be poisoning our pets. I see it no differently than feeding a child junk food.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

let me tell you, while I think incorporating raw foods into one's diet is great, I nearly starved on 100% raw. 50% better for me. Your idea of a healthy diet may not be right for everyone.
You weren't eating enough. A raw diet can and will work for everyone if done properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
ok this is the first I've heard of soy being bad for you...sorry but i think that is BS. one of my cats had a taste of my silk strawberry smoothie yesterday, from what i could tell she really liked it, and she is just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok... I guess I'll continue to feel my cat whatever I'm eating, but in very small amounts. I'm not too concerned about long-term effects since she's 18 years old and doesn't really have many years left anyway, but am more concerned with the short term. She doesn't seem to be in gastric distress from digesting these foods, so I guess she's alright. She does eat her regular meat cat food every day too, but for whatever reason is always interested in what I'm eating. My other cat is a true carnivore and couldn't care less about what I eat. Thanks everybody.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
I know it can be done to have a vegan cat, but please do not try it unless you are seriously going to put alot of time and effort into it. it is ALOOT harder then being a vegan human. I would suggest working closely with a vet if you were going to do this
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top