·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
i don't have a clue what it could be. maybe he's getting arthritis? x-rays seem like the next logical step and easiest. are you guys sure there's nothing in the wounds? something really small is easily missed but can cause a lot of pain or discomfort.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
~

·
Registered
847 Posts
Non-painful causes of lameness are usually due to some type of neuropathy. I saw a dog that had a nerve sheath tumor that caused lameness (second time, not a good prognosis for him). It's possible that the nerve problem is higher up in the pain pathway or the problem is in the motor nerve pathway. Definately give the antibiotics more time. Rads should still be your next step.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Also - Cats often wont show they're in pain as a defensive tactic, they are predatory animals we can't forget. He may be in pain, and just very good at hiding it. Especially if he's a male.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Usually cats are not anesthetized for x-rays unless they are extremely stressed out. I would definitely recommend x-rays and Metacam is a wonderful, safe pain-reliever (if pain is the problem) for cats. He is 11 1/2. It could be arthritis. Cats generally do get arthritis, just like dogs and humans. They just don't show it. Sometimes, I do believe arthritis will show up in x-rays depending on how severe it is. Usually a hazy white outline around the bone if that makes sense.

I was a veterinary technician, so I know a little bit about the veterinary world. XDD I hope this helps! I hope Gizmo gets better.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.