VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Officials at West Valley City's animal shelter in Utah say the cat named Andrea hadn't been adopted for 30 days when shelter officials tried to put her to death in October. She survived, so they gassed her again.
Full article

Happy the cat survived... sad about what she had to go through and all the other animals that go through this...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiholic View Post

30 days? Doesn't sound like they gave her much of a chance. Is that standard practice?
Actually in a lot of shelters they will give them as little as 3 days, barely enough time for an owner to try and locate their lost animal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiholic View Post

30 days? Doesn't sound like they gave her much of a chance. Is that standard practice?
Pretty much from what I've seen. The shelter I used to volunteer in gave them roughly the same amount of time. It depended on how many spaces were available altogether as they were required to leave a certain number of spaces left open at closing time each day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,217 Posts
I'm shocked that there are still places in this country where they use gas to euthanize animals. It's bad enough that they have to be put to death, but can you imagine the trauma of being gassed? If they have to euthanize at all, why don't they switch to humane anesthesia with a needle? The animal just gently goes to sleep and doesn't suffer from the procedure itself. Is it too expensive, or doesn't anybody really care how they euthanize animals?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
This is so ridiculous!
I don't think this happens in Switzerland. I need to check. They are pretty strict on animal laws.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah when I looked into adopting I saw some shelters who only gave the animals a few days and just a number. Sad.


The article said the volunteers there are going to go to the town council to see if they can switch euthanization practices.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I'm shocked that there are still places in this country where they use gas to euthanize animals. It's bad enough that they have to be put to death, but can you imagine the trauma of being gassed? If they have to euthanize at all, why don't they switch to humane anesthesia with a needle? The animal just gently goes to sleep and doesn't suffer from the procedure itself. Is it too expensive, or doesn't anybody really care how they euthanize animals?
i know, this poor baby
Wonder how soon she will be adopted after this article
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydoll View Post

Actually in a lot of shelters they will give them as little as 3 days, barely enough time for an owner to try and locate their lost animal.
Wow, that's nothing at all. There's probably more chance of them being killed than adopted, then? I know that there are some shelters here that keep the animals they care for indefinitely, but I'm not sure about others so they're probably the best case scenario (aside from adoption or fostering).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiholic View Post

30 days? Doesn't sound like they gave her much of a chance. Is that standard practice?
In Houston, it's three days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

i know, this poor baby
Wonder how soon she will be adopted after this article
she got adopted > "The newspaper reports the cat has since been adopted and shelter officials are investigating why the gassing failed."< i know why the gassing failed it was fate.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top