VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as some of you might know, I recently had my cat desexed. She actually had the op just over a week ago and is progressing very well (apart from her muscle layers mending in a way that causes a thick layer of muscle directly under the external stitches which is apparently fairly normal.) She only had to wear the E-collar for a couple of days but has been cooped up inside half due to the fact it has been pouring rain for most of the past week. The other half of the reason is because I have recently gotten a full time job and between this and uni, and my partner working, she is at home by herself for lately about 11 - 12 hours a day.

We all live in a large townhouse, 2 storey, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, huge lounge room, laundry and a joining garage. During the day we leave all of the doors open so she has a huge area in which to play in and we have a ton of kittycat toys all around the joint for her to amuse herself with.

Anyway she has gone totally insane lately and is going apsolutely nutts all around the joint. At first I thought it might have been because of the operation, but why would she run and jump around if she was in pain? Also, she is not biting at the stitches at all and being a good little cat and so it would seem that they are causing her undue comfort. She is also wormed. I have decided it is due to lonliness and boredom.

I do feel bad about keeping her alone inside, and so after the stitches are removed we are going to rig something up with the laundry window and some kind of latch key thingy so we can have a secure house but still have her coming in and out at her will. I live in a quiet area with next to no house breakins. Plus, my laundry window faces the backyard of 2 neighbours who we are close with now, so even if someone figured out a way to break in through the opening they would still need to be in our friends secured back yards to see the window.

The thing I am concerned about is her behaviour and I am worried it wont change. I was in the shower yesterday which is like a squared of thingy with glass type walls, but they don't go all the way to ceiling. She jumped onto the window sill, then tried to jump ontop of the shower glass wall thing and ended up hanging off the top of it by her front paws! I will be standing next to a chair and she will jump ontop of it and bite me on the arm! Last night I was cuddling her after I got off the computer and was taking her upstairs and she bit me right on the boob!

I know she wants attention so I try to pat her or something when I am home and she constantly does the run stop and look to see if i am chasing her game, which i am not because the last thing I want to do after a 12 hour day is chase a cat up and down the stairs!! She is constantly jumping ontop of anything and everything including the walls.

I feel bad because I know things have changed for her now, I feel guilty because she is cooped up inside.

Does anyone here think it is wrong to leave a cat alone with indoor and outdoor access for say 9 - 12 hours per day? I feel like such an idiot, I never realised she would be alone for such a long period of time when we got her and I wouldn't have brought an animal into my home if I had known there would be such times of solitude! I can get another cat to keep her company, but not untill at we move which will be at least 4 months away!

Does anyone think I am doing the wrong thing? What if I lived in a bigger place and there were two cats? Do you think that would make it better? Does anyone think this is a phase and she will get over it? Is it possible this could be because she has been confined to inside the house and not just us being out all day?

Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I do think getting another cat would help. Animals can get very lonely and bored. However, I don't think the solution is to let her go outside. There are just too many dangers to a cat outside. Plus, outdoor cats kill way too many birds.

Until you can get another cat, if you can afford it, you might want to consider a "pet" sitter. For a pretty small fee, this person will come to your home and play with your cat for an hour or so every day when you're gone. It would be well worth it!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe that it is the best choice I can make for Waffle, to let her spend some time to play outside. It is a cats natural environment after all, I don;t think she needs to be any more domesticated then she already is. I respect the decisions of others to confine their cats to indoors, but given I live on a quiet street, confining her is deffinately not a choice I am about to make, but thanks anyway for your ideas!

mm a pet sitter? interesting.... it would be hard to find someone though I guess. I have never heard of them before!

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
my cat is pretty much the same way. he's settling down a bit lately though, finally acting his age. plus we're in a house now whereas before we were in small apartments where he probably felt cramped

one thing i can suggest is get lots of toys that she can play with without someone else. mine loves this little tennis ball thing but only plays with it when one of us throws and bounces it for him. get things you hang off doorknobs and whatnot, and every few weeks take half her toys and put them away somewhere, then in another few weeks, take them out and put the other half away. she'll think they're new toys and won't lost interest that way

i dunno, other than that all i can say is try to make some time to play with her every day, even if it's just a few minutes. mine sometimes gets hyper just as we want to go to bed, so to tire him out i go and pick up every one of his toys and sit at the end of the living room. there's a hall directly across leading to the bathroom. i'll drag a toy across the carpet til he runs over to get it, and before he grabs it i throw it all the way to the bathroom. he runs over and catches it and just as he turns around i produce a second toy and repeat the process. i toss every single toy down the hall and make him run for it back and forth. after a few laps he gets tired and flops over for a nap and i run off to bed before he gets a second wind.

hope that helps

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
How old is she again? I woulod only be concerned about her having access to outside if she was likely to pull a disappearing act when it gets dark... during the day my cats tend to hang around the yard, they might venture into a neighbour's yard but they're always close. And no birds ever eaten either. But night is different... both my cats have managed to pull the disappearing act once and they will roam a lot more. It's also more dangerous for them and for other animals (which I'm sure you know!) But apart from that access to outside is great exercise for them and our cats have become much more affectionate now they're allowed outside during the day. They can vent their frustrations on the trees instead!

·
Registered
0 Posts
One of my cats, when she was younger (she's 17 now), loved playing handball with a ping pong ball in the bathtub.

I think a companion will be good for her, after you move. I would suggested a neutered male cat. In my experience, female cats have a much easier time adjusting to a neutered male than to another female.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

Thanks for your advice, LadyFaile, I am deffinately going to try doing that with the toys hanging off door nobs and such. Also a 10 minutes throwing toys up and down the stairs before we go to bed wuold definately wear her out, good thinking! Thanks! Shewolf: Waffle is about 7 or 8 months old and probably would be likely to pull a dissapearing act at night except for the fact that she is a glutton! We normally get home just on dusk or a little later, but mostly we are leaving home at about 5 or 530 am, so hopefully she wont stay out of a night. If she does do that, we will have to modify something because I really would prefer to have her in of an evening! Thanks! Mouse: Thanks for the advice on a neutured male cat. We are talking about adopting a mature male now instead of a younger one. I hope they get on ok! Ping pong sounds like fun in the bath!! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
If you want to adopt an older cat maybe take her with you to see if they get on? You may just have to take a chance, and as much as I hate to say it, most places will allow a trial period in case they just don't sort their differences out.

Good luck! There's nothing worse than a hyperactive cat... they put puppies to shame!

·
Registered
0 Posts
i have a lot of experience with introducing a new cat and the key is SEPARATION. for a few days keep new cat in a room all his/her own. the resident cat will know there's someone new in the house and will be able to adjust to the idea of not being an only if they're not forced. after a few days open the door for short periods and let old cat wander in if he'd like and new cat to wander out. expect hissing. if done slowly over time there should be very little fighting.

i foster cats and i've never had a problem with my 5 cats and the fosters. some cats don't like other cats and i've had a few of those but nothing serious has ever developed.

i unfortunately did not have this wisdom when my second cat came to live with me. i threw the two together right away and they spent the next 3 years trying to kill each other every opportunity they had. they have finally learned to get along and i think they may even like each other :O

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanted to know if anyone knew anything about my cat. Well she is about 9 years old now and my mother and I have had problem with her for about 5 years now. All together we have 6 cats. She was the third cat that we got. Well anyway, she has been urinating on the rugs. She has been doing this for a long time now. We took her to the vet. and they said that it is probably a behavior problem. There is nothing wrong with her health wise. I just needed to know if anyone can help me on trying to stop her from doing this. I would hate to give her away because she is probably too old to get adopted and I've had her for so long i couldnt bare to let her go. We tried putting plastic covering on the carpet but she urinates on the rugs only. Occasionally we will see her use the litter box, but this does not always happen. I hope someone can help me to figure out what to do with this delema.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.