VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read an article on bbc news website about someone in denver killing cats. i am having trouble cuting and pasting the article. the website is bbcnews.com hopefully the police will catch this sicko.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3036144.stm

"Cat killer spreads panic in US

Many of the cats were decapitated or had their organs removed

Cat owners in Denver, Colorado have been warned to keep their pets at home after a number of mutilated cats were found dead in the area.

The eviscerated remains of four cats were found over the weekend, heightening fears that a cat killer may be on the loose.

The authorities say around 40 mutilated cats have been found in the Denver area over the past year.

There have been a string of similar cases in Salt Lake City, Utah, where 11 cats have been found been found mutilated - many with their heads or organs missing.

In the majority of cases in Denver the cats have been sliced open, often with surgical precision, and their internal organs removed.

"We have to start asking ourselves if this person is capable of doing this to a human victim. Maybe they're desensitising themselves with cats

Temma Martin, Salt Lake County Animal Services "

According to the Associated Press in several cases the killer seems keen to taunt the cats' owners by dumping the remains outside the homes.

Christy Hughes, whose 15-year-old cat, Bugsy was killed, told Associated Press that her husband found the eviscerated body of their pet outside the front door of their home in the area of Aurora two weeks ago.

The cat was attacked sometime between 0100 when he last went out, and 0615, when he was found dead.

Task force

Mrs Hughes said she felt guilty because she had stopped reading news stories about the attacks, which began in July 2002.

"I blame myself because had I read it, I never would have let my cat outside," she told the Associated Press. "I've had a hard time forgiving myself for that."

Serial killers like Jeffrey Dahmer are known to have attacked animals

She said that she had been traumatised by the experience: "For a week I couldn't sleep because I just kept seeing my cat over and over. It breaks my heart seeing other people go through this."

United Press International reported that a task force of animal control officers, police and members of The Denver Dumb Friends League, which has offered a $12,000 reward for information leading to an arrest, are investigating the attacks.

The Colorado penalty for aggravated cruelty to animals is up to 18 months in jail and a $100,000 fine.

Warnings unheeded

However, experts are concerned that the attacks also point to disturbing behaviour that may escalate.

According to criminologists one of the key childhood symptoms displayed by adult serial killers is animal mutilation.

"We have to start asking ourselves if this person is capable of doing this to a human victim. Maybe they're desensitising themselves with cats," said Temma Martin, spokeswoman for Salt Lake County Animal Services.

In the meantime the authorities in both Salt Lake City and Denver are asking cat owners to keep their pets indoors, advice which some owners are failing to heed.

"Some people argue their animals do not like being kept inside. But, look at the stakes here," said Ms Martin.

"

(I like the referal between people killing animals and serial killers
)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I live on vancouver island here in BC and we recently had some guy and his child beat a deer to death with a hammer. They scared the deer senseless with an airhorn so that the poor thing got trapped by a fence and then the father proceeded to hit hte deer with a hammer while the child beat the animal with sticks and rocks. horrible eh? there's some sick sick people out there....

·
Registered
431 Posts
Seriously though, how do they see this person killing cats as being different to eating cows? I wonder if they even see the similarity...or is it ok because they didn't actually kill the cow?

Also the parallel with the serial killers and animal abusers - would that make abattoir workers prone to mass murder or serial killings?

·
Registered
787 Posts
thefragile77

I'm not wanting to debate this but, you asked a question. Abattoir workers are doing a job, they are not torchuring cows to cause pain and suffering for kicks. When a cow is killed in an abattoir they are done so humanely and quickly (at least here in Ontario they are).

From the day that calf is born it is know that it will be killed for food consumption some day. That is it's whole purpose for being.

You may not like it but to compare those people in that industry to serial killers and cat torchurers is an ignorant insult as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, I'm a farmer myself. I have some insight into abattoirs here.

Yes I know I'll probably get banned for this.

Jeffer

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
"That is it's whole purpose for being. "

Yeah, right....

People in the meat industry cannot be blammed just like the nazi's in the concentration camps cause"I was just following orders"

If seen footage where people in the animal industry handle animals very cruel. It's not as in the mcdonalds leaflets you know.

·
Registered
0 Posts
It sickens, frightens, and disturbs me that people this sick are out there! Especially since I have a cat that LOVES to be outside. Problem being, that if we don't let him out (he hates litter boxes) he won't use a box, and he'll start chewing on stuff (cords on appliances, etc). Those are his little tantrums. And he knows he's not supposed to go outside of the property, but does anyway, and knows when he's in trouble. I just hope no one that demented is running around my neighborhood. Although, around halloween, there have been cat mutilation problems.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffer

thefragile77

I'm not wanting to debate this but, you asked a question.

Too bad because I don't take being called ignorant lightly

Quote:
From the day that calf is born it is know that it will be killed for food consumption some day.
You may know that but does the calf? Does it understand why it gets electric shocks to make it go where workers want it to go? Does it understand that its throat will be cut and its blood drained, its carcass eviserated (sp?) and decapitated? The question here is not what YOU the farmer or the abbatoir workers know or feel but what the animals know and feel.

Quote:
That is it's whole purpose for being.
So what is your purpose for being? Eating them? There is no PURPOSE for being that is outdated, outmoded, religious banter and has nothing to do with anything. Humans only started eating meat once they could figure out how to kill animals without getting killed in the process. So what was a calf's purpose BEFORE this time? What is a calf's purpose in a Hindu nation then if not to be killed? And why does a calf's 'purpose' differ in a western nation?

Even if you do believe in 'purpose' how can you claim that the purpose of living is to die? That is paradoxical and redundant.

Quote:
You may not like it but to compare those people in that industry to serial killers and cat torchurers is an ignorant insult as far as I'm concerned.
Damn straight its an insult but its certainly not ignorant.

Were the guards in concentration camps just doing their job? They got paid to murder...oh sorry...kill Jews. And don't you dare tell me its any different after all we make clothing out of cow hide and human skin lampshades were found upon the US liberation of at least one concentration camp.

A serial killer is someone who ends a life with every intent to harm. Its not a crime of passion, its cold, calculated and repeated. Please explain how it is any different... Ohhhh that's right abbattoir workers kill for cash so that's much better.

Quote:
By the way, I'm a farmer myself. I have some insight into abattoirs here.
Congratulations, you're contributing to suffering.

I live in a farming area so I too have 'insight' and have visited the 'halal' abbatoir in my area.

Quote:
Yes I know I'll probably get banned for this.
That's not going to happen unless you show a complete disregard for the principles of this board and the people on it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Back when I was in the 8th grade, I sat behind this guy in one of my classes who was completely insane. You could see it in his eyes. He was downright scary. A couple times he described in detail to how he would kill cats....I'll never forget how horrified I was.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thefragile77

Seriously though, how do they see this person killing cats as being different to eating cows? I wonder if they even see the similarity...or is it ok because they didn't actually kill the cow?

my guess on this one is that the difference lies in the fact or what seems to be a fact that killing animals in a violent manner (such as decapitation, the removal of organs)seems to be a lead in to more violent crimes, such as murder(this is debateable topic as some people see the death of animals equal to that of a human being.. I do not however..I find a stark distinction between the death of a cat and the death of say my child), where as I am pretty sure that saying killing cows or eating meat is not such a seeming predecessor to such behavior....

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I don't think it's fair to put blame on meat packers. They are very underpaid, have a dangerous job and are really just another set of victims of the meat industry. The enemy here is not some poor immigrant who is trying to feed his family, but rather those at the top who exploit animals and their workers and spread lies about meat to keep it popular.

I suggest everyone read the chapter in Fast Food Nation about the meat factory workers.

(gets back on topic)

They had better catch this guy before he kills more cats or starts killing people. God that's sick...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FafaFrappy

It sickens, frightens, and disturbs me that people this sick are out there! Especially since I have a cat that LOVES to be outside. Problem being, that if we don't let him out (he hates litter boxes) he won't use a box, and he'll start chewing on stuff (cords on appliances, etc). Those are his little tantrums. And he knows he's not supposed to go outside of the property, but does anyway, and knows when he's in trouble. I just hope no one that demented is running around my neighborhood. Although, around halloween, there have been cat mutilation problems.
Do you have any idea what your cute, sweet little cat is doing to the birds and rodents in your neighborhood. It makes the cat killer seem tame in comparison.

Get with the program and keep the real mass murder (your cat) inside.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rubberhead

Get with the program and keep the real mass murderer (your cat) inside.
In your profile it says "very serious Bird Watcher and Bird Hunter".

So should we keep you inside as well?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts