VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought one of those fence things to keep your cat from getting out of your yard? I'm wondering how good they work.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i'm not sure how any fence would keep a cat in, ours at my mom's can jump just about anything, and she's 18 years old, a younger cat would have no troubles. unless it's roofed.

i once considered getting mesh to cover the balcony at our old apartment so the cat could go on the balcony and not fall or jump off. i'd seen a neighbour's balcony meshed in so her kids wouldn't fall. but it was bright orange and looked awful.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Do you mean invisible fences? My aunt has one for the dog. But she says cats are hard to keep in with them. I have seen plastic curved things, like overhangs you can put on the top of regular fences to keep in cats. I think I want to get that someday.

Here is a different version I found:

http://www.catfencein.com/catfence1.html

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
If you put something along the top of a fence that a cat can't walk on, without slipping off, or just cant walk on, it wont walk along the top of the fence until they find the spot where they want to jump off (what I've observed appears to be their usually tactic), and won't scamper over it. What I did with my chain-link fence was to lower the top bars about a foot below the top of the chain link, instead of even with the top of the chain links. They can't get a footing on the bar then, and they can't get a foot on the top of the chain links -- way too wobbly, as well as being non-walkable even if it were stiff. You have to make sure there are no tree limbs, and like that, that they can use as a bridge over the fence. You could also simply take ordinary soft wire, not barbed wire, just ordinary soft wire, and attach pieces sticking straight up, to the top bar of a chainlink fence. Say a piece sticking straight up every 3/4 inch, sticking up about 2 inches. Or curving inward instead of sticking straight up. They will not try to negotiate 3/4 inch polypropylen mesh, either, for they know they can get tangled up in it. Occasionally you might get a tangled, and seriously injured cat, from such mesh; but most of the time they have heard before hand how dangerous it is, and won't try to negotiate it.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Once one of my rabbit friends got caught in this kind of mesh tho, that I had to keep out cats. It made me feel very bad because the rabbit panicked and instead of waiting for me to cut the mesh away, started crying and screaming and flailing, and getting itself more entangled, and then getting more panicked and crying more.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
At first it panicked even more when I approached it, to cut it loose. I must have represented an even worse nightmare of its nightmare collection, than the nightmare of being tangled in mesh that only tangled you more the more you struggled. But eventually it calmed down -- because it had to. It had no choice but to trust me and let me touch it and untangle it -- or it would have died. So it calmed down. I was amazed. But it dashed away like a bat out of hell the moment it realized it was able to.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Is it worth it to have an outdoor cat in a place where you have to cage it in?

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
The kind of mesh overhang indicated at http://www.catfencein.com/catfence1.html is similar to the kind of mesh I describe in my post above. So while it is true, as the site says, that their device will not harm people or cats, it very well may harm (wild) rabbits and birds. I have seen panicked birds tangled in my mesh too, as well as the rabbit i mentioned.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the "cat fence in" was what I had been talking about.

Where was the mesh that you had? I'm finding it hard to picture a rabbit climbing a fence. Hadn't thought about birds though. hmm.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Well my mesh was placed differently. The mesh in the commercial system is just sticking out 90 from the top of the fence; mine was draped down at an angle, until it reached the ground, and then held on the ground with rocks. But I think it was the mesh that I had propped up over and draped down alongside, things of interest to birds and rabbits (corn seedlings, and soybean plants, respectively) that was the mesh that trapped them. You're right; I don't see rabbits trying to scale a fence. They try to squeeze thru, or will chew on any fence but a metal fence, to get to something inside they really want, like the young leaves of soybean plants.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
The several birds that were trapped, somehow managed to get inside my netting, but then after they wanted to get back out, they couldn't remember exactly how they got in, and tried to just push against the netting, but that didn't succeed in getting them out, so they started panicking and pushed against the netting in a frenzy, getting themselves all entangled in it, worse, instead of succeeding in freeing themselves. Presents an analogy of how human frenzied panics, which appear to be "automatic" reactions to certain situations, may be effective ways out of some situations, but cause worse entanglement in others situtation. Illustrates one of the mental abilities humans have than animal don't. Humans can realize their panic is getting them nowhere, and stop. Before they wear themselves out completely. And then slowly, cautiously, extriate themselves using fine motor dexterity. Birds and rabbits have enough fine motor dexterity to extricate themselves, but they don't seem to stop panicking until they are utterly exhausted, and ready to die. Rabbits could easily bite thru the mesh thru -- I've seen them do that to get in. But they don't appear to try and look at the situation calmly, and figure out which piece of mesh needs to be bitten away, to get out (it will generally require several pieces be bitten away - that may be too far in the future for them to think -- more than one bite, a succession of bites).

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hmm i dont know about any cat fences. I know of a fence thing that my parents got for my dog when he used to climb the bottem part of the fence then jump over it. It was really weird what he did but they got this electric wire to put over the fence to keep Boomer(my dogs name) from running away. You can buy it from the store but i forgot what it was called. The first time they get shocked they dont try escaping again but i thought it was kind of mean. I got shocked by the stupid fence more then the dog did!! lol Once i was going to jump over the fence i had forgot we had it as soon as i touched it ZAP!

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
They have a kind of fence that shocks only people wearing collars -- colars with the shock unit in it. You can bury the wire underground. Then you put the special collar on the dog. Then it gets a shock if it tries to cross the wire. No-one else gets a shock. Maybe your parents put a collar on you, Luckiecharms, and told you it was a scarf or something? Or a necklace?

·
Registered
445 Posts
grrrrrrrrrr Soilman. J/k lol No, this was something a little but different. I know wha you were talking about though. the wire went on the top of the fence and you could turn it on or off. When it was on it could shock you and i touched the wire a couple times by accident when it was on and I had forgotten that we had the wretched thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.