VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my baby is a little backed up. We tried some green treats that were not agreeable and he had one loose stool, then a really hard dry one.

He eats plenty of wet food, drinks water almost everytime I turn on the bathroom sink, I've tried dabs of petroleum jelly and a little bit of canned squash mixed in his food. He normally poops every other day but today is day 4. If he doesn't go by tomorrow morning (I'm hoping there will be a tootsie roll suprise for me when I get home tonight), I'm calling the vet for a visit, but any other natural suggestions that might help him along tonight?

Also, he's not straining, he's eating, drinking, tinkling, playing normally. What I'm afraid of is that maybe he's holding it in because of his last hard bowel movement?

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Time for the vet, definitely.

Even every other day is unusual, IMO. Mine all have bowel movements twice a day.

IF he checks out O.K. at the vet (and I would have a full blood panel and testing of a stool sample done), then I would recommend a probiotic powder mixed in with his food. I do that periodically for a week or so for all my cats, to keep their digestive systems on track. You mighty try some slippery elm powder mixed in his food - a number of people I know swear by it.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, MLP. I had made a vet appointment for yesterday morning, but he had a nice healthy BM a couple of hours before the visit and another one again this morning. I'm feeling less stressed about it now. Not to sound gross but upon examining, I noticed a couple of big old hair balls in the stool, so I'm thinking that might have had something to do with it as well. I will keep the slippery elm powder in mental storage for future reference!

Oh and every other day is def. not unusual. Generally it's every other day, they do have back to back BM's on occasion as well. They eat only grain free and overall they are pretty light eaters. So from what I've read and heard from friends and the vet, it's pretty normal.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Just going on my experience with the approximately forty cats I've lived with during my adult life - I have never had one that didn't defecate at least once a day. But mine have access to greens whenever they want, and only have a hairball issue extremely infrequently, so that may also make a difference.

ETA: Also, he shouldn't be having hard bowel movements. Hard and dry is just as abnormal as diarrhea.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Vet.

I had a cat eventually die from colon issues. He was on a lot of prescriptions for it. The first time I took him to the vet it was for constipation. The vet felt his stomach and she freaked. She X-rayed him to see how much poo was in his colon (or to see if it was something other than poo), and put him under for an emergency "manual evacuation."

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I don't know your particular case but I hope you find an answer.

I had a kitty who often had harder dryer poops. Even as a kitten. Doses of hair ball medicine used to work and never needed vet intervention.

I hope all goes well.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

I don't know your particular case but I hope you find an answer.

I had a kitty who often had harder dryer poops. Even as a kitten. Doses of hair ball medicine used to work and never needed vet intervention.

I hope all goes well.
Hairball medicine has either mineral oil or petroleum jelly as the main ingredient. Both work well because they are both natural laxatives. I'm glad your kitty did okay.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hard dry poop was just the once right before the one with the hairball in it - which they've never gotten before as far as I know. They almost never puke (hairballs or food) or cough them up so I'm thinking that was it. Back to normal now. Thanks all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts