VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so some of you (probably just the other easy posters actually) might know that our younger kitty Taff got an injury to her hind leg somehow where she cut through a tendon and needed stitches. Well, she's all healed up now and she appeared to be doing great. HOWEVER, the vet warned us that because of this injury she may not be able to keep her claws short on that leg any more. She'#s recently started limping again and we think this is the reason.

We have never trimmed our cats' claws before - they are indoor/outdoor and it has been my understanding that they need them for self defence, etc. Will she be disadvantaged with having the claws clipped on one of her back legs?

I found this: http://cats.about.com/cs/declawing/ht/trimclaws.htm it seems a decent guide to trimming claws, but it is focused on front claws and says that trimming back claws is 'undesireable'. Also, I don't know what clippers to get or anything. Help?!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Your cat has three other feet with claws for defense, don't worry about cutting the nails on one foot. Do worry about the limping. If she can't run, then she has not choice but to try and fight. She isn't likely to win every fight either. Just trip the tips off to a little shorter than the other foot and she'll sharpen them quickly. It's very similar to trimming front nails, they just don't curve as much. When you go get trimmers, get the type that are like scissors, Resco's dull quickly then crush rather than trim. If she still limps after that, then she needs to be indoors exclusively. She will be too vulnerable outside.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I find the best claw clippers are the ones that look like little scissors. I clip my cats claws constantly (ha! alliteration), back and front.. but they don't go out. I think it's REALLY necessary to clip the backs because if they are sitting on you and get startled and they dig in and claw up your lap with the backs. You'll probably want someone to help you hold the cat, then gently push on the pad near the toe and the claw will come out, and just trim the tips off. You don't want to cut down to the quick (the colored part) because it will hurt/bleed. If you do, don't panic. You can buy Quickstop powder at the pet store, or pack it with a little cornstarch to stop the bleeding. (It will also stop on it's own eventually... )

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did it! Successfully! I'm awesome!
(okay...my dad helped A BIT)

but Taff is still limping...sometimes...I guess it's another trip to the vets.

·
Registered
963 Posts
We used to have to trim our cats claws, he was not a very co-operative participant

Now it's the hamster, which I might have to make a thread about because I'm completely bemused

·
Registered
469 Posts
I haven't been too good about doing it lately, but I have 2 kinds of trimmers. One is a big guillotine style with septic powder that stops bleeding if you make a mistake built into the handle. The other is a small simple sisor type. I'd say the big one works better, but the cats squirm less when I use the small one. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
912 Posts
If you're having trouble clipping your cat's claws, try doing just one claw at a time until the cat realizes it's no big deal. Then you can go to two at a time, etc. I can only clip the claws on 2 paws at a time for my kitties. I use regular nail clippers and they're pretty cooperative.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.