VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crunch a carrot

Start crunching away studies have shown that a high carrot consumption can lower your risk of cancer by up to 40 percent. Researchers from the University of Newcastle in England believe that

falcarinol, a compound that protects the vegetable from fungal diseases, may be the prime reason for this benefit.

Take actionLuckily, carrots are low in calories and can therefore be eaten freely. Include at least one portion of carrots (1/2 a cup of grated carrots) in your diet every day. Although fresh carrots are the healthiest, you can also steam or cook this veggie, whip it into a tasty smoothie or drink carrot juice as an alternative.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
That just put me in the mood for some carrot potato miso stew... Tomorrow's lunch and dinner has been decided :p

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've actually heard of that lol. It's ok. Regardless of what research comes out, I don't believe in miracle foods, so to speak. Carrots are simply yet another healthy vegetable, and I will eat them when I feel like it. When I don't, I'll eat a different healthy vegetable :p

The exception is coconuts. I am addicted to them and have, therefore, convinced myself that they are a miracle food as an excuse to eat them.

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
I eat carrots every day. So aiong with the other foods that I eat that are supposed to reduce your risk of cancer by 40%, and a healthy vegan diet, I have no chance of ever developing cancer!!

Coconuts eh? Don't they take a fair bit of chewing then nomad888? Especially if you have a fetish for them.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post

I eat carrots every day. So aiong with the other foods that I eat that are supposed to reduce your risk of cancer by 40%, and a healthy vegan diet, I have no chance of ever developing cancer!!

Coconuts eh? Don't they take a fair bit of chewing then nomad888? Especially if you have a fetish for them.
Actually the biggest problem is the preparation time. In the morning I'll usually have something along the lines of a coconut/vegetable smoothie and, at the same time, dismantle another to throw in a container and munch on throughout the day. I don't eat them at every meal, but I do eat them almost every day

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Regardless of what research comes out, I don't believe in miracle foods, so to speak. Carrots are simply yet another healthy vegetable, and I will eat them when I feel like it. When I don't, I'll eat a different healthy vegetable :p

Yeah totally, I love carrots, but it drives me nuts that every 5 miniutes the media talks about a new miracle food, based on a single study and making out it's a miracle food, instead of looking at a range of studies and realising that eating fruit and vegetables generally is good for you!

I am having carrots for tea

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Carrots are awesome though, and very easy to grow

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Yeah totally, I love carrots, but it drives me nuts that every 5 miniutes the media talks about a new miracle food, based on a single study and making out it's a miracle food, instead of looking at a range of studies and realising that eating fruit and vegetables generally is good for you!
Totally agree! And I eat at least one big raw carrot a day! Yummmmmy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My favorite way to eat carrots:

Mix shredded carrots (you can shred them yourself, or be like me, and just by them pre-shredded), some drained canned mandarin orange slices, and dried cranberries with a few sprinkles (I'm bad at exact measurements!) of sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, and a pinch of salt and brown sugar. Top with sesame seeds (I toast them first), and enjoy.

^^ This is seriously one of the tastiest things on earth, and because it's so easy to polish off yourself, a great way to meet your carrot quota

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.