VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I feel like some force does not want me to have this career. I spend more ofmy time and energy troubleshooting then doing the actual work.

Once I could scan, I cannot upload anything. DA is now broken. Their submitting process no longer works. Or at least it's way to slow to be practical for my purposes with waiting times exceeding 48 hours.

I'm not kidding here, I've left the submission window running, check back and two days later it's still loading. That is far too slow for me. maybe the hobbyists can deal with it, I have far too much work to deal with DA's current issues.

But along came Conceptart as another place for pro artists to post galleries.

Appleworks is the only program I have to save in Jpeg format. I thought Jpeg was Jpeg...but apparently NOT. Concept art does not accept anything because it says it needs a different kind of Jpeg then I have. They also accpet GIF, a format that is not a choice for me.

Unless I can figure out to get GIF format from appleworks, Conceptart will not accept anything from ,e.

I wonder how long other artists spend finding just the right Jpeg format and finding a way to create GIF format files.

I have littel motivation to work further on my portfolio because I could have the best work( I don't, but saying in theory) and it's totally useless if I cannot market myself. An online gallery is still the best marketing tool. RL is too limited for me to market myself and expensive as RL galleries charge RL money to display a gallery.

I suppose I could physically mail copies of my portfolio to each interested party, but printing and shipping costs would mount very quickly.

Therefore this is cost prohibitive.

I suppose I could go ahead with that "business" loan I've been planning.

That is a aquire a credit card, buy business supplies and then hopefully pay it off at the end of the month with my profits.

Then I could have other programs besides appleworks which conceptart would accept.

But then what if nothing sells to cover the cost?. Who gonna pay that bill when I keep going in the red on regular bills due to lack of reliable income.

I guess in an ideal world, I'd hire someone else to manage my gallery and market meIn the real world, I have to do it all, this type of work just isn't profitable enough to allow that.

So I guess I will probably be reduced to emailing my entire portfolio in individual pieces to interested parties since there's no gallery.

I don't want to think about how time consuming this is going to be and how much of that time and effort could be better spend on actual work.

Very frustrated wannabe pro artist here.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to sell my skills.

See above for reason that online presentation is severally limited.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
well what skills?? are you an artist? what kind of art? i read your post and i am still not clear. i get you have a portfolio.........of what? photos, paintings, drawings, what?

what kind of work are you looking for? are you looking for someone to hire you to do artwork or are you trying to sell your artwork,

just trying to understand.

·
Registered
963 Posts
If the ConceptArt attachments really don't work for you, just upload your work to somewhere like Imageshack and link it.

I really think you'll have to consider mailing your work to parties though, it's the way the majority of jobs are attained in that field of work. There's a sub-forum on ConceptArt for people to advertise for jobs, but I doubt you'll get enough to earn a living.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd rather show my style then describe it in detail to every person.

I have nothing for sale, these are just examples of my work.

I have studied graphic arts before and I tried to get an outside job in that area.That career field wasn't going anywhere and like all careers I eventually moved on a new one.

I recall the pay being OK...not sure if I'd make as much being self employed.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I would get an individual account at somewhere like

http://www.flickr.com/

or

http://www.picturetrail.com/

If I were you.

Or even a free website like

http://geocities.yahoo.com/

ANYTHING so you can show your work.

If you need more help and suggestions I'd be happy to offer any advice I can.

For my own business I have a website, plus I also have a picturetrail account and a geocities site for my personal artwork. We get many jobs from the website, so, I recommend having one if you're serious about getting jobs over the internet. You'll still of course need to talk to people on the phone and be able to email them pictures.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
You might try this site for free software that might help you convert your image files. Everyday for 24 hours they give away a different software. A lot of the time it's software having to do images in some way. You just have to check back each day until they have something that will work for you.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts