VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've been vegan for about 5 months now, and I've been eating an increasingly large amount of tofu. However, whenever i cook it, be it stir fried or grilled, it seems to have this plasticky taste which i just cant get rid of. Even if I marinate it, it keeps this unpleasent taste. I have tried different firmnesses and different brands of tofu, but I have this same problem all the time.

I know its not just an intrinsic taste of tofu, because when i go to asian restaurants and order it it tastes great and has not even a hint of this odd plasticky taste. Does anyone know what i'm talkign about and how to get rid of it?

Thanks,

Nick A

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I have never come across that taste. Is it perhaps the brand of tofu you buy? I tend to make mine in recipies with lots of flavor/ and or spices.. so I can not say I have tasted "plastic"

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
have you tried freezing the tofu and then draining it. i drain it with books sitting on it and keep doing it until the towel is soaked. a few brands of extra firm tofu comes so firm i can just drain it super well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i noticed a weird taste to a lot of soy products when i first decided to try out soy products. it seemed present in some soy stuffs and missing in others.

i got used to it, and or found things which didn't have the funny taste. soy yogurt has it, so does a lot of the soy icecream, and soy sour cream. the soy milk i drink Soy Dream doesn't have it. never really noticed it in tofu. i'd say just shop around and try different brands till you find what you like. i doubt your doing anything which is imparting the weird flavor you describe.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Maybe you are picking up the taste of the box that it comes in?

I knew someone that hated to drink soda out of a can because he could taste the can...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
maybe that's why whenever I ask my dad to try something I've made with soymlk he says "I don't like soymilk" and recoils

·
Registered
780 Posts
I never noticed anything like that. I have bought tofu that was sour though. Now I've found an excellent source in my area where it's always fresh and has a pleasant smell and taste.

I don't know where you live, but in some parts of the US they have Trader Joes stores. The tofu I've gotten from Trader Joes was excellent quality and the price was fairly good.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had the same experience, where I taste "it" in some soy foods but not in others. It's most intense in tofu hotdogs, for me. I'm getting used to it, though.

My omni husband swears he can't taste it--to him, all tofu is rather tasteless (even when I marinate it).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts