VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have been a vegetarian for about a week and half now and I am having some issues feeling full. I am also concerned about losing weight if I'm not eating enough.

I like food quite a bit. I am known by friends and family as the "big eater." I have a passion for really good food and I guess I enjoy feeling full. Since becoming a veggie, I just don't feel satisfied after a meal and I'm beginnng to get concerned that I am going to lose weight. I am a very petite lady who does not need to lose weight, lol. I've always had a super high metabolism and pretty much snack and eat all day, could this have anything to do with it? I think I'm confusing my body, lol.

Okay here's what I had today:

Usual breakfast:
-calcium fortified OJ
-apple with almond butter
-hemp and chia seeds
-1 teaspoon of bee pollen

Morning snack:
-brazil nuts

Lunch:
-salad filled with vegetables (spinach leaves, olives, carrots, tomatoes, avacodo, etc.) with hemp oil dressing

Afternoon snacks:
-Pear
-Granola bar
-carrots
-Veggie Sticks

Dinner:
-vegetable alfredo and spinach pasta with garlic bread

Dessert:
-Organic Ice-Cream

And I just made me a quinoa and avacado salad because I still wasn't full. The one time I have felt full since becoming a veggie was when I made lentil soup and cornbread. And while the soup rocked my world, I can't eat lentil soup every night.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, breakfast and lunch, it looks like you could eat a bit more. Most mornings I assemble a variety of fruits, and whatever I don't eat for breakfast I'll eat later in the day. For instance, maybe an apple, a couple oranges, a cup of grapes, and a cup of blueberries. For lunch, you could probably add a sandwich.

Generally, I eat until I am full, as far as fruits and veggies go because they're low calorie.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
You don't seem to be eating much, AND you are not eating many "real" carbs. Yes fruits are simple carbs, but wheres the grains and legumes to make you feel full? complex carbs. Yes, pasta at dinner, but try eating some rolled oats in the morning, and maybe a little bit of grain-carbs at lunch too. Whole wheats pastas (im not a fan of bread), lentils, beans, oats, grains (barley, quinoa, etc).

As for eating lentil soup every night, take the time to research some recipes. I had a stretch of lentils/whole wheat pasta for 3 weeks when I had first gone vegan. It was boring, but I felt full after a cup of lentils, or 85g of whole wheat spaghetti. When I learned of new recipes, I was much happier.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both very much! I usually eat a whole lot more than I listed and still have trouble feeling full. But ya'll made me realize I have not been eating as many grains and beans as I usually do so thank you very much. Tonight I'm going to try a chili recipe I saw by Martha Stewart that looks amazing and serve it with rice and cornbread.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I want to add that when I was starting out I found that some sort of complex carb late morning (say hummus and crackers) made a HUGE difference in how full I felt AND my energy level.

I can't imagine your dinner not filling you up! Sounds delicious!

·
Registered
375 Posts
By lunch I have probably eaten 4x the calories you have. You say you are a big eater, but it doesn't even look like you're eating very much. What is your calorie intake?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post

By lunch I have probably eaten 4x the calories you have. You say you are a big eater, but it doesn't even look like you're eating very much. What is your calorie intake?
Maybe I should clarify, I was a big eater before I decided to try being a vegetarian, (about 2 weeks into it). I couldn't tell you exactly how many calories I am taking in. I've never been one to count calories.

Today I added oatmeal with hemp seeds to my usual breakfast of an apple with about 5 tablespoons of almond butter, had a bean burrito for lunch, walnuts and blueberries in yogurt for snack, tomato/avacado/spinach leaves on 12 grain bread when I got home, brazil nuts snack, and 3 bean chili, (zunchinni, tomatoes, and corn included) with rice and cornbread for supper. I think I'm doing better today because I don't feel like I'm starving.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hi There
I have the same problem. I am a fussy eater to begin with but since giving up meat I have tried my best to eat a variaty of things. I already lost 1.5kg without exercise or trying anything just by giving up meat. Now I am not so worried about that but can't afford to lose more as I am now already 48kg. I am short thou.

I eat daily :
Rye with Hummus and Avo for breakfast
Snack : Rice cakes with Peanutbutter + Banana
Lunch : Brown Rice with Yellow,Red, Green Peppers, Mushrooms, Onion and Tikka Curry Sauce
Snack : Either soup or Dates/Banana
Dinner : Roasted Veg wth Soy Chicken style Strips or Sausages

I can't eat eggs anymore the thought... AAAWH.. I dont like cheese and drink very little milk. I am almost 100% vegan but scared of hurting my health as I dont like beans, lentils or tofu.

Problem getting in my protein since I started walking the dog and the exercise also drains me.

Also being female my body crave more protein you know when....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

Hi There
I have the same problem. I am a fussy eater to begin with but since giving up meat I have tried my best to eat a variaty of things. I already lost 1.5kg without exercise or trying anything just by giving up meat. Now I am not so worried about that but can't afford to lose more as I am now already 48kg. I am short thou.

I eat daily :
Rye with Hummus and Avo for breakfast
Snack : Rice cakes with Peanutbutter + Banana
Lunch : Brown Rice with Yellow,Red, Green Peppers, Mushrooms, Onion and Tikka Curry Sauce
Snack : Either soup or Dates/Banana
Dinner : Roasted Veg wth Soy Chicken style Strips or Sausages

I can't eat eggs anymore the thought... AAAWH.. I dont like cheese and drink very little milk. I am almost 100% vegan but scared of hurting my health as I dont like beans, lentils or tofu.

Problem getting in my protein since I started walking the dog and the exercise also drains me.

Also being female my body crave more protein you know when....
If I were you I would add some nuts in there for snacks and they will also help you with your protein. I eat walnuts and Brazil nuts throughout the day and also keep frozen blueberries around to snack on. I'm thinking the fat in the nuts might help us smaller women keep some of our weight on as well. I'm def. going to look into getting a very good Vegetarian cookbook that's for sure.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh and try lots of avocado too! I do believe it will help you keep weight on as well. I like it on pretty much everything but a good place to start would be a tomato and avocado sandwhich. I sprinkle lemon pepper on top of mine and it gives it a great flavor. Or make a homemade guacamole! Yummy!

·
Banned
31 Posts
Hi!

Looks like you are eating enough food and good food. You hunger might be due to your fast metabolism. Try drinking hot/warm tasty tea in between meals as warm drinks trick the appetite. Wait for some 15 minutes and you will see that the hunger will calm down.

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Add some whole wheat bread to your lunch, it will give you a longer lasting full feeling and it's healthy too

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post

Add some whole wheat bread to your lunch, it will give you a longer lasting full feeling and it's healthy too
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdogreen View Post

Hi!

Looks like you are eating enough food and good food. You hunger might be due to your fast metabolism. Try drinking hot/warm tasty tea in between meals as warm drinks trick the appetite. Wait for some 15 minutes and you will see that the hunger will calm down.
Thank you both for the tips. I love spearmint tea so I will try that and I have also just found a new 12 grain bread that rocks my world! Thanks again! :- )

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Lentils are definitely a good source of fiber, so they will keep you full. Have you ever tried lentil loaf?

http://www.food.com/recipe/really-go...f-really-33921

You can veganize it easily too (soy cheese and Ener-G in place of the egg, I like to add sauteed celery to mine and use half BBQ/Half tomato sauce).

Amy's Kitchen also has a delicious loaf that is served with mashed potatoes, corn, peas, and gravy.

I agree with those who say more calories is a must, the foods you eat aren't very calorie dense. Nutrient dense, yes, but your body still needs more. Do you have Veganomicon or Appetite for Reduction? Both are awesome! AFR isn't a weight loss book like it sounds, it's more for healthy eaters and focuses on nutrients.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Lentils are definitely a good source of fiber, so they will keep you full. Have you ever tried lentil loaf?

http://www.food.com/recipe/really-go...f-really-33921

You can veganize it easily too (soy cheese and Ener-G in place of the egg, I like to add sauteed celery to mine and use half BBQ/Half tomato sauce).

Amy's Kitchen also has a delicious loaf that is served with mashed potatoes, corn, peas, and gravy.

I agree with those who say more calories is a must, the foods you eat aren't very calorie dense. Nutrient dense, yes, but your body still needs more. Do you have Veganomicon or Appetite for Reduction? Both are awesome! AFR isn't a weight loss book like it sounds, it's more for healthy eaters and focuses on nutrients.
No I haven't tried lentil loaf but that recipe looks amazing! One of my favorite things to make before going veggie was meatloaf and potatoes so anything that can get close to it is fine by me! I might just try that tonight, thanks!!! You are the second person to recommend the Veganomicon to me, it must be good! :- )

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hi There Girl

How is the eating going? LOL I do find that I am eating a lot of AVO lately and it does keep me full. I am not a big NUT fan but guess will just have to learn to eat them.

I found a Natural Source of Soy Protein which you mix with water and I add a bit of coffee in there to make a nice shake. Drink that in the mornings to add to my Protein after walking the dog.

Dont like lentils or beans so yah I have a huge problem in trying to sustain my weight.

Got some Fry Soya Sausages going to give those a try with some Roasted Veg tonight.

Also found Red Pepper Hummus which is yummy!

Are you winning in your staying full?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I will summarize what I was going to write because a lot of people have already given great advice a lot of which I would already suggest...

More grains, try whole wheat bread and brown rice, maybe a bagel made into a sammich, oatmeal for breakfast. These are what fill you up and keep you feeling full, and while you are eating lots of veggies they aren't going to keep you feeling full.

More protein. Beans, chickpea salad, tofu, mock meats if you must. You are going to feel really lethargic and hungry if you don't get enough proper servings of these. I didn't notice that you are vegan, so eggs and cottage cheese are really protein dense and filling foods as well if you eat eggs or dairy.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i started out vegetarian now i can't seem to deal mentally with the idea of eating eggs. they just freak me out! thinking of just going vegan but so scared of not getting in enough nutrients. its only dairy that really bugs me as I drink about half a glass of milk a day, I dont like cheese so thats not a problem. I do however love my chocolate.

Soya and Rice milk I cant stomach. The soya protein mix seems to be fine. Make my own coffee soya shake.

I dont really get hungry as I eat things who keeps me going. I am just a bit worried about losing more weight as I already lost about 1.5kg.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAVegetarian View Post

No I haven't tried lentil loaf but that recipe looks amazing! One of my favorite things to make before going veggie was meatloaf and potatoes so anything that can get close to it is fine by me! I might just try that tonight, thanks!!! You are the second person to recommend the Veganomicon to me, it must be good! :- )
I've tried "meat"loaf recipes made with soy crumbles and honestly, I found the lentils to be tastiest (which is a plus because they're healthier). Hope you like the recipe
Veganomicon is an absolute favorite of mine. It's probably the most recommended Veg*n cookbook on this forum.

It's on Amazon for a good price (there are lots of pictures too, so you can see if it's the type of food you like):

Veganomicon

Appetite For Reduction

1 - 20 of 33 Posts