VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I tried Vegan and I've found that living with my family and working in a cafe is making it way too hard to be Vegan. I tried going Vegan and I was hardly able to eat. I don't have the money to buy expensive Vegan food and I find its easier to just be Vegetarian. So here is what I'm going to do. I will go Vegetarian but not eat eggs or milk if I can avoid it. Like if I have a choice between Soy or Milk, I'll choose the soy product, but I won't go out of my way to keep from eating products with milk in them.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I think that's an excellent plan.

You're doing the best your circumstances will allow by the sounds of it, and maybe when you have more control over your situation and in the future when your circumstances improve, maybe have a go at being vegan then.

How does this apply clothing and non-dietary areas?

·
Registered
278 Posts
this is my problem too, although i still lean towards the vegan side of things. I just messed up alot around xmas with all the chocolate sitting around the house
lucky yesterday was garbage day... i threw out alot of crap

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your choice. It isn't easy to make the transition to being vegan--I've tried it myself and have failed every time.

Veg*n food can be expensive or inexpensive depending on what you eat. If you buy a lot of mock meats and convenience food, it will be more expensive. Less expensive choices would be rice, pasta, beans, in season fresh, frozen, or canned vegetables, and in season fresh, frozen, or canned fruits. Things like hummus and seitan can be made at home for a lot less. Tofu and soymilk can be made at home, too, with the right equipment (expensive up front, but in the long run much cheaper than buying store bought).

As far as clothes and personal products go, many vegans wait to buy new stuff until they run out or their non-vegan clothes (leather, wool, silk, etc) wear out. Leather free shoes can be found inexpensively, if you know where to look (Payless and Target have quite a few).

Working in the cafe, even as a vegetarian, you will still need to stop relying on the food being prepared there and bring your own lunches most of the time. If they don't have many vegan offerings, the vegetarian ones will probably be few and possibly unhealthy. So, you'll probably need to start cooking for yourself if you haven't already. It's not fair to make your parents do this for you--you've made the decision to be veg*n, so you need to start cooking.

Go slowly at this. You're doing good for the animals whether you're vegetarian or vegan. Don't feel like a failure if you make mistakes. I know I still make mistakes and I've been doing this for 11 years.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I also think what you are doing is a good idea,

when I first wanted to follow a vegan diet, I started with not eating visible eggs and dairy, then worked on the rest of it slowly.

Different speeds work for different people in different situations.

Just remember you are doing a whole lot of good for yourself, the animals and the planet

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of my clothes are made with cotton, and the rest, I have no idea. I don't really pay attention to what my clothes are made of. I won't buy leather and I will start paying attention to what clothes are made of and avoid those materials.

I will begin making my own meals. Most people at the store do, since the stuff in the cafe is so fattening. (Cheesecakes, cookies, brownies, cupcakes, ect.)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post

I don't have the money to buy expensive Vegan food and I find its easier to just be Vegetarian.
Vegan Food is not expensive. Here is what I eat.

Soy Milk

Tofu

Legumes

Brown rice

Whole wheat pasta

Wheat Germ

Nuts

Seeds

Olive/canola oil

Fruit

Dark leafy green veggies

I receive $152 a month in food stamps. Carry around a container of hummus with you when you go out in your backpack. It's easy to be vegan on a budget.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I find that the more I rely on whole foods and less on processed foods, the cheaper my grocery bill is. Of course, you do need to devote some time to actually preparing the foods, which not everyone has. Tofu, rice, beans, and many vegetables are all quite cheap. Shop around - you might be surprised how cheap vegan eating can be

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am in same boat! When I can I choose vegan. And as far as cheese goes I choose vegetarian cheese. I choose soy over milk every time....If I could gain access to good soy cheeses I know I would be good to go! I eliminate eggs and milk as much as I can at home but when I go out I do not make it a point to get dairy free bread baked goods etc....I wish I could but right now it is just not the time....Do i hope to gain full on vegan lifetsyle? Yes, but like the others said I am doing like you are, what I can, and that is still a great thing!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found that rather than trying to replace all my none vegan foods with vegan ones I just started all over again, look for recipes on the web, or get a good book out the libarary, make a meal plan and stick to it (easier said than done I know). Things like soy cheese are more expensive, but you don't actually need them, shop around I've managed to find soy milk cheaper than cows milk. Look for recipes that aren't full of replacement stuff like veggy cheese etc, try and find one that are all fresh stuff. It wored for me, hope it helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I totally understand and am in essentially the same boat. I'm a vegetarian and I'd love to go vegan but as a college student who doesn't have a car and thus has to rely on friends to take me to the grocery store when they go and things like that, I don't think I can go all the way vegan yet. I try and avoid things that have egg or milk in them but I'm not going to make my friends go extremely out of their way and make them irritated just to avoid eating half an egg or what not, if we're picking up food or on the road or something. Once I don't have to rely as much on other people for transportation and things, then I can probably change it up.

·
Registered
897 Posts
hi, and welcome.

i have no problem personally with your plan, i applaud you for making a difference.

i personally have not found it particularly difficult to go strict veg, but i have to say, the pre-made meat substitutes have made it a lot easier. i've also taken up cooking, something i had no interest in or previous need to learn. i've found indian foods extremely easy to make, nutritionally balanced, and tasty.

there are a ton of resources on this and other sites that can make the experience less of a pain, and more of a natural, enjoyable, even desirable lifestyle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem with work and feel your pain. While working in the entertainment industry at a lot of shows we only have the option of eating catering with no areas to store food that I could bring from home. I make the healthier choices at work when I have the option, but sometimes you can't always do it if you want to eat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem with work and feel your pain. While working in the entertainment industry at a lot of shows we only have the option of eating catering with no areas to store food that I could bring from home. I make the healthier choices at work when I have the option, but sometimes you can't always do it if you want to eat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cooking vegan can be very cheap. If you want to buy already made food (what's the word for that in english ?) it can be expensive but if you cook your food yourself it's a lot cheaper. I'm addicted to mushrooms, onions and soya cream (generaly these three together) , lentils and rice, fruits, ... I make soya milk myself. I agree you need time to do this but you can try any recipies you imagine, it's tasty and cheap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts