VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having terrible problems finding good vegan chapstick. I've been using the Alba stuff, but my lips had a terrible reaction to it (bleeding, peeling, puffing, and actually developing small little hives on them. Ick.), so, in desperation, I went back to Soft Lips, a chapstick brand I have (or had, until I went vegan) always loved. I have also tried The Merry Hempsters, but it also makes my lips peel. Those are the only two vegan brands I can find around here. I would order online, but I'm not 18, and my mother doesn't like ordering things online for me. Plus, all of the vegan chapstick (especially the ones ordered online) seem incredibly expensive. I will pay for them, but obviously, cheaper ones are appreciated.

So does anyone know of a vegan chapstick that works well, that I might be able to find at Whole Foods?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Is vaseline vegan? My lips get really dry (along w/everything else) in the winter.. I left my stuff at a friend's, so when my lips are super dry I slap some vaseline on them or else they crack and bleed... I didn't even consider if it's vegan, I just wanted out of the misery of dry lips.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here. Softlips doesn't have any visible animal ingredients, but it is rather chemically.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did you try to compare common ingredients that you may be having a reaction to? You may want to try to pinpoint that before spending more money and having to keep suffering.

In addition to Merry Hempsters, I also use Azida Hemp Oil Lip Balm, but I think I got that online.

How about Origins or Aveeda products that may not have beeswax in them? I don't know where you live, but I have lots of retail locations for both in my area.

I also came across a line I hadn't seen the other night in an ULTA cosmetics store. It's called Garden Botanika, and all their products state "Cruelty Free", but I haven't had a chance to research them yet.

Good luck!

11,550 Posts
Eco- Lips make a 'Bee Free' Chapstick, that i really like. the rest of their line have beeswax, but this one doesn't. its very soft and melty and gentle and mildly lemon and lime-ish. i checked the ingredients and it seems pretty pure stuff:

organic golden jojoba oil, candelilla wax, organic cocoa butter, organic essential oils of lemon and lime, organic calendula extract, vitamin e, rosemary extract, and vitamin c.

i know what you mean about the horrible reaction, my lips are pretty sensitive to stuff like that, and its horrible. i can't wear the alba ones either.

i would think you could get eco-lips 'bee free' in wholefoods- its in all the healthfood stores where i am, and even next to the cash registers at some other random stores (clothes stores, sports stores, etc). i'd definately look out for it, if i was you. you could also contact the company via their website and ask them who stocks it near you:

www.ecolips.com

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
BTW... I use Bosom Buddy... It says not tested on animals, but it may contain animal derived ingredients, I'm not sure... My friend gave it to me for free, so I figured I might as well use it up instead of it getting tossed in the trash-it works awesome... but considering I dunno exactly what's in it I'm not too mad about leaving it at my friend's and that I probably won't get it back. As long as it doesn't go to waste. I know who I can give it to if I do get it back and find there's something in there.

Also wanted to say, you could try coca butter, I think that's vegan friendly (not sure, haven't used any in years) & you can buy sticks of it at the drug store for like $1.

·
Registered
264 Posts
dr. bronner's (soap company) makes lip balm now in a rectangular tin that's vegan and natural. most HFS carry it around here.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually do, but I haven't seen any chapstick there. I'll look next time I go, thank you!

·
Registered
145 Posts
BTW, I did have a chance to research Garden Botanika, and unfortunately all of their lip stuff has beeswax and some of their line has honey. But they do seem have some really nice vegan brushes and other acceptable makeup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having terrible problems finding good vegan chapstick. I've been using the Alba stuff, but my lips had a terrible reaction to it (bleeding, peeling, puffing, and actually developing small little hives on them. Ick.), so, in desperation, I went back to Soft Lips, a chapstick brand I have (or had, until I went vegan) always loved. I have also tried The Merry Hempsters, but it also makes my lips peel. Those are the only two vegan brands I can find around here. I would order online, but I'm not 18, and my mother doesn't like ordering things online for me. Plus, all of the vegan chapstick (especially the ones ordered online) seem incredibly expensive. I will pay for them, but obviously, cheaper ones are appreciated.

So does anyone know of a vegan chapstick that works well, that I might be able to find at Whole Foods?
I can recommend Bramble & Blossom vegan lip balm tins Bramble & Blossom | Organic Skincare and Aromatherapy Products Online :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts