VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my family recipe for Cannellini Beans and Escarole. My family eats this as a main course with whole wheat bread to mop up the juices.

2 to 3 Bunches of Escarole (I grow my own from imported Italian seeds)
2 cups (0.5 L) Dried Cannellini Beans
5 to 6 cloves of Garlic finely chopped
6 Tbs. (100 mL) Olive Oil
28 oz. (0.8 L) Crushed Tomatoes or equivalent fresh tomatoes chopped and crushed with seeds removed (optional)
3 to 4 Basil Leaves
Sea Salt
Pepper

Soak beans overnight in water. Rinse the beans and place in a pot covering the beans in water, at least a hands width of water over the beans. They soak up a lot of water. Make sure the water is salted. This is very important. The water should taste salty like the sea. When the beans are al dente, drain the water.

Rinse the escarole. In another pot, place the escarole inside with water and bring to a boil. Cook the escarole only until it just starts to wilt. Drain in a stainless steel colander and squeeze out the remaining water. I use a potato masher in order to not burn my hands pressing the water out. If you use a potato masher, be careful not to break up the mash the escarole.

In a large pan, pour about 5 or 6 tablespoons of olive oil. Saute garlic in the olive oil for approximately one minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic. When garlic is done, add the escarole. Stir the garlic and olive oil into the escarole and finish cooking. With a few minutes to finish the escarole, add the beans. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir the ingredients and cook for a few minutes more.

Optional:
I always add a fresh tomato sauce to make this a main course full of all the nutrients a body needs. In a medium pot, sauté two cloves of garlic finely chopped for about a minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and basil leaves. Bring to simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. When you add the beans to the escarole, add the sauce as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts