VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's with the juice in canned beans? Can I use that for anything? Does it have any nutritional value? Or should I just keep draining it from the beans into the sink as waste?

I vaguely remember hearing of a bean juice salad dressing but I think I'm crazy. If there is such a thing how do I make it?

Thanks

rigmarole

·
Registered
469 Posts
Canned beans give me "the willies." I always half expect to find what my family called "The Queen Bean"...the piece of pig fat/bacon. ugh. But to answer your question, i don't think it has much nutritional value, if any. Maybe if you were making soup, you could use the juice. It couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Depending on what I'm doing with the beans, I'll use the juice instead of adding oil to help mix up things smoothly in the blender/processor. I use it too to make soup thicker. I'm failing at the description so, here's an example or two.

For instance to make black bean soup, I'll puree an entire can plus juice to add to the drained beans in the soup to use as a thickener.

For Hummus, I'll use the juice from the chick peas instead of oil/tahini to liquify the mix when I'm processing it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I don't know, I do what dawngirl does, too, but I also like the taste of it. If it was not so freking high in sodium, I would drink it (used to, when I ate a can with a meal, the juice is mighty tasty!)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually rinse the beans before I use them - I cannot afford organic or salt-free canned beans, so I am stuck with what is at the supermarket and boy is the liquid salty!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yeah, I drain mine and rinse them, too. But I rarely used canned beans - fresh cooked ones taste so much better, plus you get more bang for your buck!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm...pretty much as I thought...thanks all

as far as the dry, make your own kind of beans do they really taste that much better? Maybe I'll try them out, but they're so much less convenient than opening a can of beans.

later

rigmarole

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rigmarole

hmmm...pretty much as I thought...thanks all

as far as the dry, make your own kind of beans do they really taste that much better? Maybe I'll try them out, but they're so much less convenient than opening a can of beans.

later

rigmarole
I think dry beans taste better than canned - fresh is always better in my opinion!
It's not that big a deal!! Just soak them overnight (throw them in the pot before you got to bed) then cook them the next day - they usually only take an hour or so to cook. You'll have loads of fresh beans, enough for several days. You can do all sorts of things with 'em then!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts