VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit confused in comparing the numbers. one serving of canned garbanzos has 110 calories with 6 grams of fiber. one serving of the dry ones has 120 calories and 14 grams of fiber. just not getting the comparison in numbers. Anything I should know or don't?

·
Registered
501 Posts
When you look at the dry, is the nutritional info for before they are cooked, or after? Also, how big is the serving size for each? When there is a discrepancy like that, it usually has to do with serving size, or with it being prepared vs. unprepared.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
when you cook up the dried beans, you'll end up with basically the same nutritional info as the cans, minus the sodium they use in processing. You can't compare them exactly.....the serving size is for dried, I believe.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think a 1/4 cup dry equals a 1/2 cup of canned, but the nutritional info seems off. I was just trying to figure out the cooked equivalent so I could add to my food log. Dry beans seem like a great value, but a pain in the ass. I think $.99 for a can of beans may be worth it for me. I still have not made my ow yet so I will see. Any idea how to store the beans after soaked and cooked and how long they last?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
well....a pound bag, when cooked up will give you the equivalent of 4 cans (1 1/2-1 3/4 cups each- NOT a 1/2 cup)....so that would be 4oz of dried beans to equal one 15 oz can of cooked.

like lentils....they about triple in quantity

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

All beans are cheap, but I really prefer the taste of dry. I can cook soaked beans in my pressure cooker in 20 minutes.
Yep, about that here too, plus sitting time.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I buy canned for convenience.

dry for their price.

·
Registered
992 Posts
In the produce section of the grocery store I usually go to, there's a big barrel of dry pinto beans that kids like to treat like a ****ing sandbox. Seriously. It's like parents drop their kids off at the bean barrel to occupy themselves while they go shopping.

Ugh.

So, yeah...I buy canned pinto beans.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I am going to drive people crazy, but if a 1 lb bag equals 4 cans, then you would still think the numbers per serving would be close and they are not. 4 cans have 14 servings and a bag of dried has 10 servings. What am I missing?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post

Ok, I am going to drive people crazy, but if a 1 lb bag equals 4 cans, then you would still think the numbers per serving would be close and they are not. 4 cans have 14 servings and a bag of dried has 10 servings. What am I missing?
what are you using as reference for these amounts?

on this website it shows the calories and fiber for 1 cup of both canned and dried/cooked as about the same: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4327/2, http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4435/2

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am still learning beans,
However, I get both cans and dried beans ,The dry beans I get at the corner store, the canned I get at our local grocery store.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found a lot of discussions on this and read several articles. Most are saying there is about a 1-3 ratio. I am still confused because if X amount of dry beans equals a can of beans, then shouldn't the calories etc be fairly equal? I really would love a break down of how much of a dry bean would equal the numbers in my can. they just don't equal.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
The downside to canned beans is the sodium content. For something that doesn't taste salty, they sure are packed with the stuff.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe dry beans are different from the canned ones. I made some earlier and did a comparison. I cooked 4 oz of dried and it yielded 12 oz of cooked. This is As everyone said a 1 to 3 ratio. According to the bag of dry black beans the 4 oz which is 2 servings has 140 cals, 46 carbs, 30 grams of fiber, and 18 grams of protein. The can of black beans using 3 servings has 300 cals, 57 carbs, 12 g fiber, and 21g of protein. I did the exact same comparison with Garbanzo Beans. Dry were 240 cals, 52 carbs, 28 g fiber, 16g of protein. The can is 330 cals, 57 carbs, 18g of fiber and 18 grams of protein. Either I am completely stoned, stupid or there is something missing?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:

The can is 330 cals, 57 carbs, 18g of fiber and 18 grams of protein. Either I am completely stoned, stupid or there is something missing?
Ok so u are using the nutrition info on the can and bag. Are the serving sizes listed the same?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
the bag says servings per container. that just means that there are that many servings of dry beans in the bag. My bag of Goya kidney beans has 10 servings of 1/4 cup measurements....all of the nutritional info is based on the 1/4 cup dry beans.

The info is going to change when you soak and cook the beans, because the end final weight and quantity will change. Basically, you don't ever need the nutritional info from dried beans....we don't eat them dry! Always go by the info for cooked beans, as that is what we are consuming....again the sodium content will be different based on home cooked or canned.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:

Maybe dry beans are different from the canned ones. I made some earlier and did a comparison. I cooked 4 oz of dried and it yielded 12 oz of cooked. This is As everyone said a 1 to 3 ratio. According to the bag of dry black beans the 4 oz which is 2 servings has 140 cals, 46 carbs, 30 grams of fiber, and 18 grams of protein. The can of black beans using 3 servings has 300 cals, 57 carbs, 12 g fiber, and 21g of protein. I did the exact same comparison with Garbanzo Beans. Dry were 240 cals, 52 carbs, 28 g fiber, 16g of protein. The can is 330 cals, 57 carbs, 18g of fiber and 18 grams of protein. Either I am completely stoned, stupid or there is something missing?
Nutritional information is often wrong. I've bought many different brands of rice and I don't think any two ever agreed on the amount of calories in 1/4 cup. Same goes for beans, but with fewer brands. You'll also find this online if you check the various calorie databases for how many calories are in a specific food. This isn't even a difference between dry and cooked since they're all the exact same product. I have no idea why there's so much conflicting information for everything, but it really is all over the place. My advice is to just go with your best guess or use the average if you're tracking calories. Trying to get everything 100% accurate is only going to waste your time.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts