VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I have recently transitioned my 2 dogs over to the vegan diet. It has been about 2 months.
Anyways, I was wondering if I should be giving them some B12 supplements too? Where would I find these? What would be the dose? They are about 10lbs.

THey already get a canine multivitamin, a flax seed supplement, a kelp supplement and omega 3s.

thanx!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you buy a commercial vegetarian dog food it's probably fortified, but it's not clear that a dietary source of b12 is necessary (although I'd understand erring on the side of caution). Some dogs eat dirt as well or their own ****, which may have b12 as well, but I'd probably just buy commercial veg dog food to supplement anything you might make for them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx for the reply!
I use 'Preference' from the Honest Kitchen as my 'base' and I add quinoa, beans, veggies, tofu, tempeh depending. I am not sure it is fortified tho.

My dogs have the eating crap thing under control for now.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMiss View Post

Hi everyone
I have recently transitioned my 2 dogs over to the vegan diet. It has been about 2 months.
Anyways, I was wondering if I should be giving them some B12 supplements too? Where would I find these? What would be the dose? They are about 10lbs.

THey already get a canine multivitamin, a flax seed supplement, a kelp supplement and omega 3s.

thanx!
You seriously give your dogs all those supplements?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea lol. a holistic vet game them to me. they are super good joking aside.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If a dog is eating a complete and balanced diet, there really should be no need for vitamin supplements. With dogs on vegan diets, it is good to be careful though. If you are already giving your dogs a canine multivitamin, I really wouldn't worry about supplementing them any further.

Julie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts