VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the members of the forum that live in Canada I have a question to pose to you. Can you shed some insight on what it's like living up there? My wife and I have been thinking about perhaps moving up there after we find time to visit. Maybe some of you can help point us in the appropriate direction or give us some details about what life there is like.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Life in Canada is awesome. I have more helpful things to say, but currently lack the attention span to do it. I'll come back soon.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Well, Canada is a pretty big country with a lot of provinces, it's entirely different from place to place. There's a pretty huge difference between living in a metropolitan area like Vancouver or Toronto compared to cattle country like Calgary. Where are you thinking of moving? If you don't speak French I'd probably avoid Montreal for starters

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have lived in BC and in Alberta and there are perks to both
BC had beautiful sights but is more expensive in general (everything has extra tax, and housing/gas/liquor I know specifically are more expensive) and Alberta is very friendly and a little warmer with the chinooks. I think if you choose to live anywhere in Canada you wouldn't regret it

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Why is this in the heap? Are we expected to debate about this?

If so, Renee and Natalie, I know you're both lying about Canada. Everything must be the opposite of what you say

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Why is this in the heap? Are we expected to debate about this?

If so, Renee and Natalie, I know you're both lying about Canada. Everything must be the opposite of what you say
Good point!

MOD POST:

Moved this to the Veggie Patch so it will get more responses and because it's not a debate thread. I would have moved it to the Canada forum but lets face it, it's pretty dead there

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry wasn't quite sure where to post it at. x..x

Thank you for all the responses.

We were potentially looking at Toronto or Windsor but def planned on a visit before making final decisions. It's good to hear that things up there are good though. I'm imagining it's a lot better there than it is in Ohio. x..x

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiGraves View Post

I'm imagining it's a lot better there than it is in Ohio. x..x
Somalia is better than Ohio.

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Except for Cedar Point.[/SPOILER]

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

Except in Saskatchewan or Manitoba.
Seriously, avoid Winnipeg.
Why? I lived 4 months in Winnipeg and found the people to be great there. The winter is pretty cold, granted,but well, that's Canada, right?
So just out of curiosity, what's the problem with Winnipeg?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I'm American but just recently moved to Montreal (Saint Hubert actually, a bordering suburb) and am picking up French pretty quick. I have to because my girlfriend's parents don't speak English. I'm loving it here. Metro area in one direction, hiking trails in the other. I'm also a fan of winter activities from skiing to snow shoeing to snow mobiling, so I'm in paradise right now.
Plus I'm still waiting for my work permit, so that gives me an excuse to take the winter off.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Living here is awesome. The only thing that bothers me are the winters but this is easy to survive. And if your choice is between Toronto and Windsor, choose Toronto because Windsor is eeeeeew. I don't think I would want to live anywhere but Toronto (maybe Vancouver). We have an actual life here and lots of things happening

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
As far as cold winters go, we have a very temperate climate here in BC. It's currently 2°C in Vancouver in the middle of December

We DO get rain though, so if you don't like that avoid this place like the plague

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

As far as cold winters go, we have a very temperate climate here in BC. It's currently 2°C in Vancouver in the middle of December

We DO get rain though, so if you don't like that avoid this place like the plague
Why did I think you lived in Kelowna?

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Why did I think you lived in Kelowna?
Not sure, I know people from there though.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezebel View Post

Why? I lived 4 months in Winnipeg and found the people to be great there. The winter is pretty cold, granted,but well, that's Canada, right?
So just out of curiosity, what's the problem with Winnipeg?
Highest crime rates in Canada, including a pesky little street gang problem. Horrible weather - both in winter and summer. A city centre that completely shuts down after 5 pm, which leaves you with the souless suburbs. Winnipeg is a trap.

I was born and raised in Winnipeg. I know this city well. People always remark on how lovely people from Winnipeg are, but living here for any length of time will give you a different impression.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

Highest crime rates in Canada, including a pesky little street gang problem. Horrible weather - both in winter and summer. A city centre that completely shuts down after 5 pm, which leaves you with the souless suburbs. Winnipeg is a trap.

I was born and raised in Winnipeg. I know this city well. People always remark on how lovely people from Winnipeg are, but living here for any length of time will give you a different impression.
Oh the weather was quite lovely when I was there, despite the regular -40°C, but well that was just one winter (and not all of it, at that).
I do remember people talking about the crime rate now that you mention it, didn't experience anything bad myself though. As for the town centre shutting down at 5, yes! I remember how it would make me cringe, now. ^^

I do have fond memories of it though, as my time there was really nice but well, I don't have such an extended experience of the place as you do.

At any rate, my short stay there would make me recommend Canada as a good place to live in at any time.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
With everything I hear about the mess in America I am grateful for Canadian healthcare, that's a plus for sure

1 - 20 of 45 Posts