VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some of you that can't stand being near meat, do you get nauseous and such, I've always been a little bit like that, that's why I always ate meat hidden in sanwiches, sauces....

Since now I'm vegetarian I"m scared now I will feel even more weird around meat, am I the only one in this situation ?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I think especially when people first "make the connection", this can be a problem. It was for me. I started seeing meat for what it was.

However, after many years, I am now able to be around it without being grossed out, but without it being appetizing as it once was, either. I guess now I just tolerate it.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
I definitely appreciate that it can gross you out. Milk has always been nasty to me.

That said, meat doesn't bother me too much. I even cook it for people sometimes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can be around meat, but I don't like the smell and I'll quickly wash my hands if I touch any. I don't like it, but I can stand it...

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Meat does not gross me out. The thought of eating it grosses me out, but nobody's forcing me to eat it.

I don't prepare it for people, nor do I think I would; but I do cut up & feed raw meat to my animals.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Meat does not gross me out. The thought of eating it grosses me out, but nobody's forcing me to eat it.

I don't prepare it for people, nor do I think I would; but I do cut up & feed raw meat to my animals.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm the cook in my house, and the rest of my family are omnivores. Also, I throw dinner parties and so forth all the time. The only thing that bothers me is when it's really, really bloody while I am chopping it (or similar).

·
Registered
684 Posts
I work in a steakhouse, so I have to put up with it, but it's disgusting. What makes me more nauseous is the empty lobster tails. Ick.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Me and my friend were microwaving hot dogs one night[for her brother and his little friends]. The smell was head ache inducing. But then again, I suffer from consistent headaches no matter what.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I've never had a problem with it. My problem would be more with facing people's ability to buy and eat it than with the flesh itself.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It makes me want to vomit, too. Just walking past the meat section in a store makes my stomach turn. I could never cook meat, and I don't bring it in my house, ever. Milk also makes me physically ill.

Actually, yesterday, I saw a city bus with a HUGE advertisement spanning the whole length of the bus. All it was a massive mini van sized photo of a chunk of meat and the name of some restaurant. It literally made me taste bile, and I wondered how anyone could find that appealing.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I don't mind the smell of it cooking. I haven't had to 'cook' it myself for a while...hubby gets pre-made meat that I just heat and serve. It's more of an uncomfortable feeling around it. When I think of possibly eating it again, I do feel somewhat queasy...it's hard to explain...not so much a physical thing but mental/emotional feeling. Weird. I think it's that I see/am more aware of the actual animal when I see meat now where before I never made the connection.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
it depends. strong smelling meat that I can't ignore freaks me out, but I stand it because I have to.

I don't really like it when my dad cooks pepperoni pizza or fishfingers in the house. They are really the only two meat things he cooks in the house but they are really smelly when they cook. I probably hate it more because it's a rare event, I normally see my house as a kind of 'safe zone' from this kind of thing so it getsn to me. But again, I have to stand it. It's his house after all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't mind being around meat. Other than two of my friends, my family and the rest of my friends eat meat so it could cause some problems if I started freaking out. It doesn't look particularly appetizing to me but just being around it or smelling it cooking isn't that horrible.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I feel nauseous if I walk near the meat section in the market, mostly because you can watch the butchers hacking it up and wrapping it, still bloody, in packaging for customers. I feel gross thinking about it.

The rest of my family and a strong majority of my friends are omni, so my husband and I have to put up with its presence at functions and the like. In a buffet setting, I just grab what is edible and sit far away from it.

I was going to say how it can be difficult being around it at restaurants, but the only restaurants we go to are veg friendly, so there isn't really much of a problem.

·
Registered
349 Posts
depends.

if my parents or friends have meat that's already sliced or in a sandwich i'm ok around it, but if i see the whole "carcus" (like a leg of lamb, a turkey etc) i will feel horrible - and my stomach turns 360 degrees if i see it being sliced up....

i also can't stand being around butchers.

·
Registered
898 Posts
It doesn't bother me. I was veggie when I worked at the zoo and I had to handle all sorts of weird meats (were talking things with bone parts and muscle parts in it) and cut frozen fish. Not to mention handling live 'meats' like mice and crickets.

I don't like watching the videos of the factory farms though and watching the 'meat' get killed. Although, I had to kill live mice at the zoo (we didn't cut them open though).

I will come back as a mouse about a thousand times.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.