VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Not really. People evolve at different rates than others. Just because someone doesn't "get it" now, doesn't mean they won't some day be open to animal rights.

I say that for friends and family, I will not date a nonvegan.

Edit: Also, I don't look at veganism or my life, which I have devoted to saving animals, as a sacrifice. I love my life and I love what I do. I am not sacrificing anything for anyone, but freely and happily giving myself to something I believe in.

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
I think vegans can love non-vegans if that's what you are asking...

Can be difficult though...

·
Registered
131 Posts
First of all, like River, I don't view veganism as a sacrifice. Second, 99% of the people I love in this life eat meat, yet I love them fiercely. There is nothing in this world more important to me than my family. My love for them is absolutely unconditional, and nothing they could ever do could make me love them any less - eating meat included. I feel horribly sorry for people who don't have that sort of love in their lives.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I could DATE a carnist....But whether they'd want to date me is another matter, ha ha!

In social interactions with friends who eat meat, I hold my tongue a lot of the time. I'm strategic in the way I discuss matters of food with them because ultimately, I want them to ask me questions and that won't happen if I'm constantly "DO YOU KNOW YOU'RE EATING AN ANIMAL WITH THE SAME INTELLIGENCE AS YOUR DOG?!"

And, it works to an extent. They opt for places where I can eat, a lot of them get vego options now and a few have asked for my help with cutting down on meat.

The problem, is that in my private time that I would only share with a partner, I need to offload a lot of the tension that those interactions cause. I need someone who knows I have to rage about it, I need someone who can rage about it with me or at least know why I'm driven to tears by friends who seem to be on track and then post pictures of their bacon burger!

I think a carnist partner would have a hard time with that aspect of my life.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Like the others here I don't feel that eliminating meat from my diet and trying to live a more consciously compassionate life is a sacrifice. Personally I have benefitted from this - so it feels like a win win. However I came to this from a health & environmental perspective - I think for those who are more motivated by animal rights this is a far more difficult situation.

Then again me and the fiance have been together for 10years - and I've only been veg for half of that time. So if I were dating right now I'd probably be looking for someone who shared my interests (as I did the last time I dated).

·
Registered
40 Posts
My fiancé does eat meat, but that will never change my feelings towards him. He isn't a full-out meat eater though. He doesn't eat bacon, beef (except for the RARE time), ham or steak. He does eat turkey and chicken, but that's about it. He does have a huge heart for animals though, he always takes care to buy old age meat (animals who are basically too old and are already dying) he will not buy it from a grocery store. And he does eat vegetarian meals at least 2x a week.

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts
I could DATE a carnist....But whether they'd want to date me is another matter, ha ha!

In social interactions with friends who eat meat, I hold my tongue a lot of the time. I'm strategic in the way I discuss matters of food with them because ultimately, I want them to ask me questions and that won't happen if I'm constantly "DO YOU KNOW YOU'RE EATING AN ANIMAL WITH THE SAME INTELLIGENCE AS YOUR DOG?!"

And, it works to an extent. They opt for places where I can eat, a lot of them get vego options now and a few have asked for my help with cutting down on meat.

The problem, is that in my private time that I would only share with a partner, I need to offload a lot of the tension that those interactions cause. I need someone who knows I have to rage about it, I need someone who can rage about it with me or at least know why I'm driven to tears by friends who seem to be on track and then post pictures of their bacon burger!

I think a carnist partner would have a hard time with that aspect of my life.
I know what you mean!

It would be helpful to be able to rage about it with a like-minded person...

·
Registered
126 Posts
It does to an extent for me personally. I do not let it destroy my relationships, but it has quietly eroded some of the intimacy and caused me a great deal of pain.

My logical mind remembers that I once was responsible for the deaths of many, many souls, but my changed heart still aches and quietly reacts without logic at times.

I am perfectly imperfect:/

·
Registered
67 Posts
Maintaining relationships with omnis is one thing, but I don't see how a vegan san sit next to or across from someone while they are tearing into a bloody steak or chicken breast. For you people that love meat eaters, how the hell do you get through the holidays with them?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
YOU PEOPLE?!

/kidding :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
I started dating a vegan guy when I went from vegetarian to vegan, so that was awesome. But after that relationship ended I tried dating omnivores and it always felt like a pretty big diving point. I stayed single for a long time after deciding I couldn't really enjoy a long term relationship with someone that didn't have the same ideals as me. Despite my mom telling me this is too picky I just started dating an awesome vegan boy and I'm on cloud 9, so it is possible I promise!!! if you use the website ok cupid you can search for people by food preferances- vegetarian or vegan, thats how I met him, give it a try!

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Maintaining relationships with omnis is one thing, but I don't see how a vegan san sit next to or across from someone while they are tearing into a bloody steak or chicken breast. For you people that love meat eaters, how the hell do you get through the holidays with them?
My husband is still an omni but eats almost entirely vegetarian at home, and sometimes vegan. I will not allow him to cook meat while I am home and never with my dishes. He also knows how much it bothers me that he eats meat so he is discreet about it and usually will not eat it around me. We rarely eat out but when we do he orders vegetarian for the most part, unless we are with a crowd of other people. Sometimes he even goes along with totally vegan dishes eating out. He also goes along with using plant based toiletries and cleaning supplies. I also have a separate cupboard for my food, and we keep separate areas of the refrigerator for our own food. I have only half joked that I might get my own little refrigerator so I don't have to see his eggs in there.

It is not easy for me to live with an omnivore, and I would love to have an all vegan household. I still nag him about it often. But we have been together for over sixteen years and have shared so much with each other and I love many things about him. If it takes him longer to at least go fully vegetarian, than so be it. He has come an incredibly long way from a few years ago. He no longer eats fast food and boycotts places like KFC and Mcdonalds. My husband used to work on a dairy farm and was a deer hunter, but he says he could never do that stuff now. Of course it is still hard for him to make the connection with his cheese and milk. But at least he is trying. I think love can cross boundaries and make things possible that otherwise wouldn't be.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I started dating a vegan guy when I went from vegetarian to vegan, so that was awesome. But after that relationship ended I tried dating omnivores and it always felt like a pretty big diving point. I stayed single for a long time after deciding I couldn't really enjoy a long term relationship with someone that didn't have the same ideals as me. Despite my mom telling me this is too picky I just started dating an awesome vegan boy and I'm on cloud 9, so it is possible I promise!!! if you use the website ok cupid you can search for people by food preferances- vegetarian or vegan, thats how I met him, give it a try!

I'm sure you know this, but being a vegan is not just about diet, it's a way of life. It shows that you care about the weak and defenseless (animals), those that are starving, your health, the environment, and future generations. You are a living example of the change you want to see in the world. Being vegan is that deep, so I don't understand why on earth a vegan would date someone that contradicts their core values. It's not like a couple with minor differences of opinions and tastes when it comes to things like fashion, sports, music, etc.

As it has been mentioned, we don't have a choice when it comes to family, so those relationships are somewhat understandable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My husband is still an omni but eats almost entirely vegetarian at home, and sometimes vegan. I will not allow him to cook meat while I am home and never with my dishes. He also knows how much it bothers me that he eats meat so he is discreet about it and usually will not eat it around me. We rarely eat out but when we do he orders vegetarian for the most part, unless we are with a crowd of other people. Sometimes he even goes along with totally vegan dishes eating out. He also goes along with using plant based toiletries and cleaning supplies. I also have a separate cupboard for my food, and we keep separate areas of the refrigerator for our own food. I have only half joked that I might get my own little refrigerator so I don't have to see his eggs in there.

It is not easy for me to live with an omnivore, and I would love to have an all vegan household. I still nag him about it often. But we have been together for over sixteen years and have shared so much with each other and I love many things about him. If it takes him longer to at least go fully vegetarian, than so be it. He has come an incredibly long way from a few years ago. He no longer eats fast food and boycotts places like KFC and Mcdonalds. My husband used to work on a dairy farm and was a deer hunter, but he says he could never do that stuff now. Of course it is still hard for him to make the connection with his cheese and milk. But at least he is trying. I think love can cross boundaries and make things possible that otherwise wouldn't be.

I'm glad to hear that your husband is at least trying to change and respects your life style.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm sure you know this, but being a vegan is not just about diet, it's a way of life. It shows that you care about the weak and defenseless (animals), those that are starving, your health, the environment, and future generations. You are a living example of the change you want to see in the world. Being vegan is that deep, so I don't understand why on earth a vegan would date someone that contradicts their core values. It's not like a couple with minor differences of opinions and tastes when it comes to things like fashion, sports, music, etc.

As it has been mentioned, we don't have a choice when it comes to family, so those relationships are somewhat understandable.
100% agree, to be more specific, myself and the other 2 vegs mentioned here are all ethical vegans, living in such a way to boycott all animal products, so yeah it is a lifestyle choice. I ended up dating some non vegans becuase I was attracted to certain aspects of their personality, but it just never worked...but thats not to say that that its wrong for a vegan to date someone thats not, it just implies that at that point in time building a long term relationship is not the intention, and eventually that gets old...and seems weird, but some people make it work....so yeah after 6 years of being vegan I decided I couldnt date non vegans for all the reasons you described. vegan life= love in all forms and its awesome to meet someone who shares these beleifs :love:

·
Vegan as f**k
2,228 Posts

I agree!

I think dating people trivially is different to a life-long committed relationship though so if someone is already married, as in Naturebound's case, the best thing they can do is encourage/ nurture their significant other's interest in animal welfare...

Reactions: scwendy

·
Registered
551 Posts
My fiancé does eat meat, but that will never change my feelings towards him. He isn't a full-out meat eater though. He doesn't eat bacon, beef (except for the RARE time), ham or steak. He does eat turkey and chicken, but that's about it. He does have a huge heart for animals though, he always takes care to buy old age meat (animals who are basically too old and are already dying) he will not buy it from a grocery store. And he does eat vegetarian meals at least 2x a week.

Old age meat? how? where?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts