VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. We have a mixture of vegetarian, non-meat eaters, etc in this house. I was recently diagnosed allergic to cow's milk and cow's milk products (not lactose intolerant). Do you have so good suggestions for a sharp tasting cheese substitute that is on the market? I am okay with goat milk, soy, etc. I am especialy interested in things that are similar to cheddar and swiss cheeses in taste.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
So, it's casein you're allergic to, correct?

Unfortunately, most soy cheeses contain casein, and those that don't contain it taste very little like dairy cheese.

If you can handle goat and sheep milk you should see if there is a good quality cheese shop near you. They will be able to make recommendations of non-cow milk cheeses that might fit what you're looking for.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivegelete View Post

I haven't tried the cheddar version, but Vegan Gourmet makes a pretty good mozzarella substitute.
Vegan Gourmet is ok if you haven't eaten cheese in a long time, but it really tastes nothing like dairy cheese, and someone looking for sharp cheddar would be seriously disappointed.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Plastic Straw View Post

Vegan Gourmet is ok if you haven't eaten cheese in a long time....
This is such a polite way of putting it! I agree. I'll eat it, but I wouldn't feed it to anyone else unless they specifically asked.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I think the Cheezly I eat says on the package that it's "cheddar-style". And Cheezly is commonly regarded - by those who get to taste this UK-based delicacy - as the finest vegan cheese there is. (NOTE however, that it's much better melted than non-melted.)

But depending on where you live, it may be hard to get it. Like said, it's an UK brand but its manufacturer is considering American distribution.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
to the White Cheddar Cheezly.

I think the best substitute depends on what you want to use it for...sandwiches, sauces, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would probably like to use it in grilled cheese sandwiches, cheese sauce, on veggie-tacos, etc.

·
Registered
496 Posts
*ANY* dairy substitute cheese will taste awful if one hasn't given it time in between when you ate dairy and when you incorporated a true non-dairy cheese. I tried a whole bunch of brands shortly after I figured out my own dairy allergy and had also just turned vegan. I threw every one of them away and didn't try again for months on some, years on others.

I did try the goat's milk/sheep's milk but I still reacted. I'm surprised that these would still agree with you if you're allergic to casein. However, everyone's body is different.

Now... having addressed the former... I have since tried the gamut of cheeses again and... I say the Vegan Gourmet by Follow Your Heart is best. I love this brand... nothing else I've found comes close to my "memory" of what cheese should be like. And... coming new to them, I'd use them in recipes, first. Not as standalone eats. YKWIM? This would give your taste buds time to adjust if you really want to jump in. Btw, the cheddar is really good and the nacho is even better! My store won't carry the nacho anymore (think the distributer from where they buy dropped it for some reason, don't know why b/c it was amazing for vegan nachos... even my omni family/parents loved it).

Or... make your own! Actually the make your owns are really good, too. Better than the store stuff, really. Joanne Stepniak's book [I may be spelling her name wrong] called The Uncheese Cookbook is a high recommendation for me. All recipes in there are dairy free and there are a ton of them in there.

Okay.. .good luck!

·
Registered
0 Posts
As others mentioned...

VEGAN GOURMET!!!

I love this stuff. The cheddar flavor is yummy, especially melted. That's the only way I eat it. It is kind of expensive, but worth the try. See if you like it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THANKS for the in-depth information! I am waiting for an appointment to do the blood testing to confirm. It is definitely an allergy to a component in cows' milk - brings on an asthma attack. My family Dr. seemed to be under the impression that cows' milk would be different from goat's milk in terms of an allergic response, I guess I will wait and see what the blood work tells us. I was hoping that the goat milk-cheese products would work, but perhaps not.
I do understand what you mean about taking time to adapt to the change in flavors, texture, etc. I always tell non-veggie friends to try a veggie recipe, not an "imitation" something as they will always make the comparison to what it is imitating. I have a Wild Oats nearby so I will look for Vegan Gourmet there. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Von View Post

Does this book have recipes to make cheese substitutes?
Yes. I have that cookbook, and it's awesome. I haven't tried even half of the recipes yet, but there are plenty of block "cheese" recipes, "cheese" sauces, "cheese" spreads, etc... Lots of entrees, too. I recommend it!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
You would probably like manchego. Follow Your Heart and the british stuff are pretty good but only in certain circumstances. You won't enjoy cutting off a piece and snacking on it alone, for example.

Manchego is a sheeps milk cheese that has a more delicate flavor than chedder but is available in a variety of ages that have varying sharpness/dryness similar to chedder.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Substitute for cheddar cheese...IMO there is no such thing! I just ordered the UnCheese Cookbook. Can't wait till it arrives so I can try out some of the recipes!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Substitute for cheddar cheese...IMO there is no such thing! I just ordered the UnCheese Cookbook. Can't wait till it arrives so I can try out some of the recipes!

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you're allergic to casein as opposed to whey, it doesn't matter whether it's cow, goat, etc. You might be able to tolerate cream, mascarpone (provided it really only contains cream and tartaric acid), butter, sour cream or anything that only contains very little protein. I know I'm ok with them, i.e. they don't give me the respiratory symptoms milk, cheese and yoghurt do, but I don't buy them anymore anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are the first person I've met who has a milk allergy also. How carefully do you have to watch milk products in other foods like baked goods? Do you use substitutes in baking?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts