VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a huge curry fan, but lately I have been trying some other Indian foods that I have enjoyed. I don't know what they are called and would like some easy recipes. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. The first is a wrap made in a flatbread and it has peas, corn and potato. I buy these at the healthfood store ready made and they are soooo filling and take a minute to microwave. The second is a sort of stuffed bread, not a pita but more like a gnocchi or ravioli (i.e. the dough part is stuffed with something, then it comes out like a thick-looking pita but with everything baked in). Any ideas what these are called and how I could make them?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
The first one sounds like an Indian-style wrap. I don't know if you're going to find a recipe for that, since it doesn't sound authentically Indian, but it would be pretty easy to recreate. Fry up whichever Indian spices you like, mix with a mixture of cooked peas, corn and potatoes and wrap it up in store-bought or homemade naan. The second one sounds like parathas. http://www.pakupaku.info/indian/parathas.shtml

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Plastic Straw View Post

The first one sounds like an Indian-style wrap. I don't know if you're going to find a recipe for that, since it doesn't sound authentically Indian, but it would be pretty easy to recreate. Fry up whichever Indian spices you like, mix with a mixture of cooked peas, corn and potatoes and wrap it up in store-bought or homemade naan. The second one sounds like parathas. http://www.pakupaku.info/indian/parathas.shtml
Or maybe to me sounds like Samosas. Last time I was at an Indian restaurant I did have naan bread layered with the peas, potatoes, onions and spices, but it was very flat.

The Samosas on the other hand were puffed up round triangular little gems, stuffed to the gills with peas, potatoes, wonderful spices, and served with fantastic hot to mild chutneys, so puffy and tasty!

Sorry not to have any recipies as I have not yet made them, but do a search and you'll find plenty!

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi.

One of the best cookbooks ever. Period. And lots of libraries carry it.

·
Registered
0 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! Paratha is one of them for sure. They sell them frozen for $4 and I was sure I could easily do it at home!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi.

One of the best cookbooks ever. Period. And lots of libraries carry it.
Noo, stop putting ideas in my head
I like "Classic Indian Vegetarian" by Julie Sahni and "Wold Vegetarian" by Madhur Jaffrey but somehow, you can never have too many books. I'll have to check that one out on Amazon, since I doubt I'll find it in a library here. How heavy is it on dairy?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks! No milk for me, but if my other Indian recipes are anything to go by, substituting should work quite well as far as yoghurt goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts